Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Quilting Slump Gone!

Not in a slump, but getting overwelmed with all the project I am doing and those coming up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    WooHooooooo...after a long 2 months, my quilting slump is gone! Not sure what happened, but I noticed it yesterday, just gone with no explanation. As soon as I clean the kitchen I'm off to finish cutting for my next project. :P
    That must be what has been happening to me! I have several vintage sewing machines (well, many more than 'several') and I just have not been wanting to sit down and sew. Thanks for the lift! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Double huggggggs for you Marcia, I so understand how it feels. 3 cheers for each step you take and for your determination to keep moving. I hope it helps to know that there are many of us right there beside you. Smilesssss, Linda aka wildyard
    Thank you so much, Linda - all hugs gladly received.
    It is because of encouraging remarks like yours that
    invigorate me.
    Marcia

......and mine.

Quote Originally Posted by McQuilter
    I think mine will be gone as soon as the temperature drops about 20 degrees and stays there.
    yes I think I can get back to mine when it cools down some.

I hope I never have a 2 month slump again! Today was not as productive as I had hoped. I cut, recut, sewed a couple of pieces backwards, ripped, sewed wrong pieces together, ripped it out again, and cut some more.

After all of that, all I can say is... I'M BACK! Tomorrow will be a better day. WooHoooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    I hope I never have a 2 month slump again! Today was not as productive as I had hoped. I cut, recut, sewed a couple of pieces backwards, ripped, sewed wrong pieces together, ripped it out again, and cut some more.

After all of that, all I can say is... I'M BACK! Tomorrow will be a better day. WooHoooooo
    Yes, now you got all that out of your system and out of the way, you can move on into the good stuff, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by marciacp
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Double huggggggs for you Marcia, I so understand how it feels. 3 cheers for each step you take and for your determination to keep moving. I hope it helps to know that there are many of us right there beside you. Smilesssss, Linda aka wildyard
    Thank you so much, Linda - all hugs gladly received.
    It is because of encouraging remarks like yours that
    invigorate me.
    Marcia
    Hey, two lovely women in one post! Just wanted to say hello and it's great to hear from you Marcia. Haven't noticed you posting for a week or so. Wow, what a heat you are enduring in Texas! Hope you get a break soon. I'm so glad you're feeling like doing a few odds and ends in your studio. Can't wait to see some of your patterns!
    Take care and hugs to both of you,
    colleen

C'mon Marcia, join in, I'm having soooooo much fun! I don't know why I thought my skills would improve after taking 2 months off.

BTW...1/4" seams still SUCK!

I always did cross stitch before I learned to quilt. Now when its spring and summer I take a quick break from quilting and go back to my cross stitching. My mom couldn't understand because she loved to quilt all the time. Hey, sometimes you gotta take a break and get excited about something else.

Hey, two lovely women in one post! Just wanted to say hello and it's great to hear from you Marcia. Haven't noticed you posting for a week or so. Wow, what a heat you are enduring in Texas! Hope you get a break soon. I'm so glad you're feeling like doing a few odds and ends in your studio. Can't wait to see some of your patterns!
    Take care and hugs to both of you,
    colleen[/quote]

Colleen, you are such an encourager. I always know you will
    have something uplifting to say. Yes, this heat is horrible.
    Tomorrow it is supposed to be 99 - WHOOPEE!!! Then, back
    up to over 100. But I just stay inside and run that AC.
    Have a Great Day!
    Marcia

Banned
    good for you, think the heat has not helped.

I wish I could turn up the original topic I saw last week about how we have dealt with our own slumps, but I cannot. This place really moves along fast! LOL

Anyway.

I had a long dry period with my own creativity during the past year, due mostly to RL problems. Usually I can overcome my mental blocks by going back in my room and playing with my fabric, or poking around in my quilt books, or even just cleaning up in there. None of that was working.

Then I happened to see one of Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek quilt novels on display in the local library and remembered that I'd always meant to read the series. About half way through the books, something sprung free and I got busy again.

It wasn't that I wanted to make any of the quilts in the books, I don't know what did it really. It doesn't matter. It worked for me.

I have found a website that lists novels including quilters or quilts. Surprisingly, there are quite a number of them. I am saving the rest for the next down time. Perhaps some of the rest of you will find some inspiration here:

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/quiltfiction_adult.html

[quote=Marquilt]I wish I could turn up the original topic I saw last week about how we have dealt with our own slumps, but I cannot. This place really moves along fast! LOL

Hi Marquilt,
    This may be the one you are looking for: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57283-1.htm

And thanks for the tip and the link!

Hi again, Marquilt,
    Just wanted to say what a splendid avatar you have!

Thank you Twilliebee!

The photo is weird, and I'm glad you could overlook that. I need to have another go at it. It's a picture of my first convergence quilt - from the book of the same name by Ricky Tims. The other two were not this successful, but they're still fun to do sometimes when the muse has flown off.

The crane was cut from a piece of Oriental fabric and fused and machine appliqued on. The part under the crane was verging into checkerboardedness, and was jarring to my eye. So I covered it up. That always works. *G*

The whole thing is hand quilted, and the quilting in the borders follows the images in the fabrics there. It's a small piece, about 32 inches square.

More than you wanted to know - right? LOL

Blog Entries
    Welcome back! Have fun quilting

Quote Originally Posted by Marquilt
    Thank you Twilliebee!

The photo is weird, and I'm glad you could overlook that. I need to have another go at it. It's a picture of my first convergence quilt - from the book of the same name by Ricky Tims. The other two were not this successful, but they're still fun to do sometimes when the muse has flown off.

The crane was cut from a piece of Oriental fabric and fused and machine appliqued on. The part under the crane was verging into checkerboardedness, and was jarring to my eye. So I covered it up. That always works. *G*

The whole thing is hand quilted, and the quilting in the borders follows the images in the fabrics there. It's a small piece, about 32 inches square.

More than you wanted to know - right? LOL
    Hi Marquilt,
    Thanks and I really appreciate the detailed information. It's actually pretty difficult to tell me more than I wanted to know LOL! It's lovely and I'll be checking out the book.

Congrats!! Hope you share pictures of your creations! :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3