Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilting spray

Blog Entries
    I am going to take a free motion class next week and the instructor said to get some kind of spray that holds your fabic to your batting so I won't have to use pins. So I went to Jo Anns and got adhesive spray. Is that what she was talking about? I would appreciate any replies received.

Blog Entries
    What you got is probally what the teacher asked you to get. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by linda701
    I am going to take a free motion class next week and the instructor said to get some kind of spray that holds your fabic to your batting so I won't have to use pins. So I went to Jo Anns and got adhesive spray. Is that what she was talking about? I would appreciate any replies received.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    She probably meant something like 505 Spray. Or 501, I can't remember right now which one it is- sorry :)

I use 505. I believe that there are a couple of brands. I hope that the spray adhesive is not a permanent type. You need one that is specifically for basting quilts.

Does what you bought wash out? If not, it may not be what the teacher wants you to get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I use 505. I believe that there are a couple of brands. I hope that the spray adhesive is not a permanent type. You need one that is specifically for basting quilts.
    I agree :D
    If the label said temporary, washable spray adhesive, for fabric you are ok.
    They do sell craft adhesives that do not wash out, and they can gum up your needles and stain your fabrics :wink: :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    The adhesive spray does wash out and it is for quilting.It's the only thing I could find at JoAnns.

Blog Entries
    What I use is Quilt Basting Spray which is different from spray adhesive. Spray adhesive is a more permanent bond. There are several brand names available.

Blog Entries
    The adhesive spray can says it's odorless, colorless,stainless,acid free,,eliminates basting and pinning,will not gum up needles,temporary for bonding fabric.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I get the June Tailor brand at Joann's. It it adhesive spray that washes out. I'm sure this is what your instructor wants you to use.

I too think it is what is called basting spray and Jo Anns carries the June Tailor here too. I do like other brands such as Sullivans, better. I get it from Hancocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiecub
    I get the June Tailor brand at Joann's. It it adhesive spray that washes out. I'm sure this is what your instructor wants you to use.

There is june tailors, sullivans, 505 and they are basting sprays. I think adhesive is a little different

I USE 505 spray . it's the best

I like 505, but there are less costly that are just as good.

I buy the June Tailor brand from walmart....10 oz can for $8...works great for me, but must remember that a little goes a long way....with nobody to show me, I used way too much the first time and had a mess.....I can now do 4-5 lap sized quilts from one can and have no issues....I can even sew down the edges and trim off any extra batting/backing with no problems....after using the spray correctly, I will never pin baste again!

Blog Entries
    I've used it but don't use Dritz. It totally gummed up my machine. I had to PULL the quilt top from the batting and backing and wash everything to start over again. I was shocked at how heavy the spray was as I have used the other sprays

Blog Entries
    I used Dritz for embroidering towels because I couldn't find the 505. It was awful. I barely sprayed it on the towel to adhere it to the stabilizer (and I tried it both ways). After I removed the towel from the stabilizer, the towel kept sticking to itself. It felt awful. Good thing my sister was going to immediately wash the towels before sending them off to college with my niece!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I buy the June Tailor brand from walmart....10 oz can for $8...works great for me, but must remember that a little goes a long way....with nobody to show me, I used way too much the first time and had a mess.....I can now do 4-5 lap sized quilts from one can and have no issues....I can even sew down the edges and trim off any extra batting/backing with no problems....after using the spray correctly, I will never pin baste again!
    I love the June Tailor brand too. All I could find was the dritz and it was just terrible

It sounds like you picked the right spray.
    It sure was a shocker to find out how much these can cost. Even with a 50% off coupon at JoAnn's I thought it was a bit much. But now I'm so glad I spent the money, it helped a ton. I had troubles even with using it, but without it, my quilt would have been a disaster.

I love the 505...you can move things around and stick them down again...great stuff, but it is costly.

Quote Originally Posted by linda701
    The adhesive spray can says it's odorless, colorless,stainless,acid free,,eliminates basting and pinning,will not gum up needles,temporary for bonding fabric.
    What ever the brand name was, and you got it at JoAnns then you got the right stuff. I mistakenly bought some 3-M spray adhesive at a hardware store. (Long, long time ago.) Hard lesson to learn.

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    [quote=Cyn]She probably meant something like 505 Spray. Or 501, I can't remember right now which one it is- sorry :)[/quote

# 505 ....is the best

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    [quote=Cyn]She probably meant something like 505 Spray. Or 501, I can't remember right now which one it is- sorry :)[/quote

# 505 ....is the best it don't stick to the sewing machine or the needle..and washes of great from the fabric

I use 505 for small projects