Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting stitch ideas for my first quilt! >

Quilting stitch ideas for my first quilt!

Quilting stitch ideas for my first quilt!

Old 02-09-2015, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

It is important to read the instructions on you batting and then you know what options to take. Some allow as much as 8" between stitching and other are only 4" so this must be taken into consideration when planning what to quilt. I would first SITD in the black stashing. That will stabilize the quilt. I wouldn't suggest using flannel on the back because you are new and flannel is stretchy and difficult to work with at first. You can do the 1/2" stitching inside the black sashing and the you could do the same in the picture blocks on the outside of the picture and the inside of the blcoks. Be sure to SITD of the pictures. I chose my thread by laying it down on the fabric by doodling it. Try many colors of thread and see what works best. You can do an X on the plain squares, but you can add additional parallel lines to give it the look of "crosshatching". Good Luck !
Old 02-09-2015, 09:42 AM

Your husqvarna probably has the serpentine stitch on it (mine does) and it can be used over the seams or inside your sashings. Make a few samples to see which size you like, you can shorten or lengthen the stitches and the curves. But you could also use your walking foot and rather than stitch a straight line just move it back and forth a little to form a wavy line inside your sashings.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:24 AM

I have done some of the quilting and then stopped for awhile, because I'm not sure I like or am doing it right. What I have done so far are the curvy lines in the black sash. My uncertainty lies with whether I am supposed to go up and down and then across, also. All of the examples I see online the wavy lines are only up and down and go a;cross the entire width of the quilt. I only want to do the sashes (black fabric), so that means the wavy lines will cross over each other. Is that an ideal look for a quilt?