Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and Sustainability >

Quilting and Sustainability

Quilting and Sustainability

Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
While sustainability is there from reusing, refurbishing, use it up, wear it out thingy, and multiple purposes that quilty items serve a true purpose from warmth, comfort, from bed,windows, kitchen,bath, floor items,pets...I think in my heart/mind the true sustainability is the passing down, holding on to art form that is historical, yet sadly, in many ways is being phased out or misunderstood.And Tartan you crack me up. Yet so true.Just my thoughts.
Jitterbug, beautifully said.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
JMHO but we can do a TON more for sustainability by focusing on where we get our food from than where we get our fabric from. I support local farms which get 80% of my grocery budget and yes, there are many local farms in harsh climates (like mine) that are producing in the middle of winter or have vegetables that winter over well (like root veggies and hard winter squashes). I buy my meat direct from the farmer too and this year I raised my own meat chickens (I have always had my own laying flock).
My farms that are producing now, have greenhouses and I get a lot of lettuce and sprout goods this time of year. A few farmers in the cooperative invested in flash freezers so my weekly farm bag includes locally grown frozen produce.

I have reused some clothes to make quilts (T-shirt quilts) and I am working on a woven shirt quilt but those projects are few and far between. As I think they are with the lion's share of quilters in the US where fabric is easy to get and relatively inexpensive.
That's amazing that you do all of that! Hat's off to you! I'm sure your food tastes incredible too. I try my best with my organic garden, chickens, recycling, Co-Op, etc. and GAWD knows, we can't do it all. Perfection is not the issue for me. However, just making some more changes wouldn't be bad, though. After food, textiles are probably the second most important thing that we use in our every day lives.

I worked in the apparel industry for over 20 years and it was a real eye opener to see just how toxic textile and apparel production is. (There's another interesting thread going on her at the QB regarding toxic chemicals in textiles, BTW.) Do I use entirely, GOTS certified, organic fabrics for my quilting...no. But, personally, I would like to. I wish that there were more resources out there and that the fabrics were more affordable.

~ Cindy
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM

keeping my LQS open is my bit LOL
Old 01-14-2015, 01:56 PM

For any of you that are interested, I've posted the link to the GOTS website in the LINKS & RESOURCES section. GOTS is the certification for fabric that has been sustainably processed, fibers organically grown, and produced without harmful dyes and other processing chemicals. It's similar to the ORGANIC certification for foods. If you have any other good links on this topic, please feel free to add to the post.

~ Cindy
Old 01-14-2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Do I use entirely, GOTS certified, organic fabrics for my quilting...no. But, personally, I would like to. I wish that there were more resources out there and that the fabrics were more affordable.

~ Cindy
The nice thing is that, the more people care about this stuff (and show that by voting with their dollars) the more companies will offer alternatives and the larger the whole "green" economy will grow.

Living in CA, I see it happening all around me, slowly but surely. Kohl's tells me how much of the store's power comes from solar panels. I'm starting to see sod roofs on commercial buildings. And of course around here you can't toss a ball of (recycled) paper without it bouncing off of 2-3 Priuses. At work, they got rid of all the paper & plastic eating-ware and invested in real plates and flatware for all our locations and are installing solar panels on the roof.

I think these are all very positive things, and if it takes me an extra minute at the end of my lunch break to wash a plate rather than just toss one in the trash, I'm totally OK with that. Makes me feel a little less guilty for driving around a car that burns dinosaurs. But you know what....my next car will almost certainly be 100% electric. By then the technology will have caught up with what I need in a car. And that's happening because of people buying all those Priuses and Leafs today and wanting MORE from their electric cars.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM

Well, of course. If everyone starts buying GOTS fabrics, then eventually the prices should come down and we and the world will all be healthier in the long run.

Now if they would just make a less expensive, SUV (or even a truck) hybrid, I'd be a happy girl.

~ Cindy
Old 01-15-2015, 07:25 AM

Another quilting item to consider, besides the fabric, is the batting. I know that Heirloom puts out an organic, cotton batting and Moda offers Soy Soft, which is made from Soy fibers and organic cotton.

~ Cindy
Old 01-19-2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Quilting keeps me sane, does that count as sustainability?
Yep cos it does the same for me
Old 01-19-2015, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Quilting keeps me sane, does that count as sustainability?

Yep. I am not going to scavenge the resale shops or closets to create with. Nor was I going to cut up my late mothers clothing to make a "memory" . we donated them. i dont recycle much either. Horrors!!!! My trash service does NOT offer the service (that tells me something) and I am not going to spend my time and transportation sorting and dropping off at the recycle bins. I do take my plastic shopping bags to Walmart for recylcing. They make it easy and I go there weekly. My car gets 24.7 per gallon. Not interested in electric cars; i drive too many miles and dont have time for charging the batteries. Like the concept but it s not there yet. Gotta make it easy to do.

Sandy
Old 01-19-2015, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If we want sustainabiloty - which to me would be acquiring and using ONLY what we need - that would definitely change my lifestyle!

I think many of us have a lot more "stuff" than we need. How many cars can one drive at one time? How many clothes can one wear at one time? How many sewing machines can one sew on at one time? How many beds can one sleep on at one time?

I know that my quilting/ sewing accumulation is waaaaaaaay beyond basic functionality. And most of my stuff is "not new"

In my opinion, many of the quilters who are on the internet, are not into sustainability at this time.

Many of them are productive, but many of us seem to be in acquisition mode - bigger stash, more machines, newest gadgets/tools -

Yes, we have lots of "stuff". I work for and pay for my own ""stuff" " and , have since i moved out of my parents' home when I was 20. I have been blessed to be able to do so, too. But " sustaining" my personal lifestyle has always been my mission. No one else had to support it for me. And I dont qualify as a hoarder, either. .

Now..DH is another matter. How many junker cars does one need? I tease him about his collection of junk cars, doubles of misc boats, motorcyces, old lawn mowers (they follow him home), etc. He gets a lot of these castoffs free or dirt cheap. He tinkers, fixes and resells them. I guess he contributes enough sustainables for the two of us!

sandy