Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Thread question >

Quilting Thread question

Quilting Thread question

Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Oh my, thanks Kas! You have given me all the details about weight and everything--something I never have been sure about. There is a Hobby Lobby about ten miles away so one day I shall stop and see what they have. I am familiar with King Tut but not Rainbows.

Say soccertxi, I am an old Coloradoan so please take a looksey as you fly west over the Rockies. I do so miss them. I am not too fond of that relatively new airport they have nowadays. It is too far from Denver proper in my opinion. The original airport dropped right down past the front range, over the highway and onto the tarmac. What a thrill that was too! lol Hope you have a smooth flight.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Attn: gramalama9, I tried my top-stitching needles and it worked like a charm. Thank you for letting me know I needed a different needle for the Sulky thread.

And Dolphyngyrl, I will look for the Sulky blendables now that I have the stitch appearance I am desiring. What a bunch of great quilters we have on this Board. So much knowledge and, like my now deceased mother always said, share everything you know about sewing and never charge a penny for your abilities.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM

If you look to grab Sulky Blendables, be aware that there are several weights -- the smaller the number the thicker the thread. If you use 12 weight on top you will need to lighten the tension and use a 100 or 110 needle. I love using the thicker threads since if I am going to go to the trouble of quilting something I want it to show up.

Every machine has its quirks. My 35 yr old Elna will sew fine with any thread any weight -- including wooly nylon. My previous machine hated all varieties of Sulky, but would sew just about anything else. My current machine is OK with Sulky, but has fewer problems with poly and rayon than with cotton (any brand).

For piecing, I frequently use titanium needles, but I have to watch what thread I use. For quilting, I use the Metallic needles as default, but if I don't have them the top stitch or jeans needles work as well (for years Jeans 90 was my default quilting needle).

My advise is stitch a sample and see what works best.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Thank you QuiltLady1. Next trip I will pick up some various weight ones. I have had just about 3 kinds of needles all my life and never could figure out which one was the correct one for whatever project I was making. Guess that comes from being a garment seamstress most of life. lol

Say, that snow in your photo looks very inviting. We are really hot and humid last couple days with no break for a few more days AND the Mighty Mo river is rising......:( Hope everyone gets out and away from it as the levies have breeched themselves already. I do not think they will hold this time around. Too many bager holes.