Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting thread >

quilting thread

quilting thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:09 AM

That's helpful. Thanks so much.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Here is a thread chart from Coats and Clark. I have no problem with Coats but I have read it will put grooves in machine tension disks faster than other thread. If you have a new rather touchy machine I wouldn't use it for peicing or quilting. I have an vintage Singer that could probably sew bobwire if I wanted. :D I really can't find the definite answer to why Coats has such a bad reputation)

[/url] http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Sewing/Threads/Coats+Sewing+Thread+Advisor.htm[url]
Old 06-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Thanks, bella... I use egyptian thread for all machine piecing/quilting. I'll keep searching for just the right thread.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by judyq
Looks like you are quilting the squares one at a time. Then do you sew together for the quilt? I've only seen completed quilts being hand quilted. Sure looks like an efficient process your way. Thank you for the reply. I don't see any numbers on the thread... just T2. I'm so new that I have to do some more searching to find just the right brand. Have a great quilting day!

Yes Judy, you sew the squares together after quilting them. I don't do too many this way, but wanted to do some pretty quilting on the olive green material. It is a fun way to be able to take work where ever you are going.
I usually quilt in a long floor frame.

good luck finding the just right thread for you!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

It is a good all purpose thread. Works great on machine and hand quilting. Gotta love it.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 AM

Have read that Coats and Clark threads tear and shred. Guttermans threads are suppose to be better. Look for thread that says hand quilting. Use it for just that. Don't put hand quilting thread in your machine if the thread is coated.

My fabric store told me it's ok to use hand quilting thread as long as it is not coated. I am going to try hand quilting myself. Not sure if I will enjoy it, but need something to do while in the chair or at the tv.