Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Quilting thread

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    23

    Quilting thread

    I learned how to quilt this past January! I have quilted a few quilts, using a pattern grid..basic straight stitching. I subscribe to Leah Day's blog, took a class locally and have actually just finished FMQ my first quilt. She says she uses Isacord thread. I have looked up info on this thread and looked at the LQS but none carry that particular brand. I suppose the question that I have, is this is embroidery thread for machines, right? I have a 12-13 year old Janome machine and wondered if this thread would work in this older machine? I am looking forward to reading your responses!

  2. #2
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,587
    Blog Entries
    3
    I order Isacord online--don't have a Janome but it works in all my other machines without problems.
    Bernie

  3. #3
    Super Member LynnVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    1,339
    I have a Janome 9000 about the same age, and I don't think it matters what you use as long as it's good thread and bobbin and needle have the same thread. I've just bought some Aurafil because so many people here have suggested it. Qshop owner said it really is good because it doesn't make "fuzzies" in your machine. I was there to have my Janome adjusted for some tension problems which I might have caused when I was cleaning out the thread bunnies under the bobbin case.

  4. #4
    Power Poster ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    10,479
    Blog Entries
    31
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

  5. #5
    Power Poster ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    10,479
    Blog Entries
    31
    http://www.redrockthreads.com/isacor...mpaign=Isacord

    I found it at this site. Age of machine should not matter as long as you get your tension right!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

  6. #6
    Super Member nhweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Delmarva Peninsula
    Posts
    1,167
    Blog Entries
    1
    There is so much information about thread, that it drives me bonkers. My Janome 10000 will take thread, but now I match brands top and bottom. I do not use any "really cheap brands", but coats and clarks on up in price works well. I did order aurifil, and like it, but my past life as a "thread hoarder", has me using from the thread stash.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingforsanity View Post
    I learned how to quilt this past January! I have quilted a few quilts, using a pattern grid..basic straight stitching. I subscribe to Leah Day's blog, took a class locally and have actually just finished FMQ my first quilt. She says she uses Isacord thread. I have looked up info on this thread and looked at the LQS but none carry that particular brand. I suppose the question that I have, is this is embroidery thread for machines, right? I have a 12-13 year old Janome machine and wondered if this thread would work in this older machine? I am looking forward to reading your responses!
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    23
    So...the answer to the question is, yes, embroidery machine thread is also used for FMQ and that whatever thread is used, it should be the same on the machine as the bobbin. With that info, I think I will buy and try! Thanks ladies.

  8. #8
    Junior Member Christine George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    175
    Bernie, your quilt inspector is so cute!! You get a lot of help from that one I'll bet.

  9. #9
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,587
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine George View Post
    Bernie, your quilt inspector is so cute!! You get a lot of help from that one I'll bet.
    Yeah, he's cute but he's a pain the the butt sometimes. It was 4:30 a.m. and he was ready for bed so he kept climbing up on my sewing machine to block me from sewing, lol. Guess who won? Thanks for the compliment!
    Bernie

  10. #10
    Senior Member teddysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Stanley NC
    Posts
    977
    I hand piece and hand quilt so I can't help you with this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingforsanity View Post
    So...the answer to the question is, yes, embroidery machine thread is also used for FMQ and that whatever thread is used, it should be the same on the machine as the bobbin. With that info, I think I will buy and try! Thanks ladies.
    It is my understanding from the ladies at my LQS that embroidery thread CANNOT be used for FMQ because it is not strong enough to keep the layers together it it gets a lot of use. Also, I always use same thread in top as bottom. Did I not understand the ladies at my LQS? They did however tell me that I could use embroidery thread to topstitch the quilttop in decorative designs BEFORE the quilt top was quilted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.