Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting top of bed cover

Quilting top of bed cover

Quilting top of bed cover

Hi
    I've jumped in straight away to ask a question before introducing myself but I promise to do that later

I have a patchwork cover which I made a few years ago for my king size bed, which I would love to finally finish.
    It’s large, measuring 54x 53 inches (274.32 x 269.24cm)
    The drop from the top of bed to the floor is 23 inches.

It has been designed with a border which goes around the top edges of the bed similar to a picture frame.
    I’m thinking of using wadding on the top only, which will enable the sides to flow gently downwards .
    (Backing fabric will be used to fit the full size of bed cover so all will be lined)

Has anyone done a quilt this way before?
    Do you think it will work?
    Last edited by youngatheart; 08-24-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Wrong title

Welcome from Texas. You've come to the right place for answers to any of your quilting questions. I've never done a quilt like that before so don't know what to say to help you but I'm sure someone will come along with answers/suggestions/solutions to your question. I've been working on a quilt for our Calif. King bed but mine will drape over the mattress & have borders beyond that. I'm going to finish the blocks using the Quilt As You Go method so I won't have the entire quilt to quilt all at the same time.
    By the way....we love pictures here.

Hi and welcome to the board!

I have never tried this and I think it could work, but I would be concerned that the areas of the quilt that have no batting (wadding) may shrink differently then the rest of the quilt and will most likely wrinkle horribly in the wash. The wrinkling can be ironed out, the uneven shrinkage, not so much. I think I would do a mock up on a much smaller scale, like say placemat size or table topper size and see how it works.

The other consideration is how you would finish the piece. Obviously you would need to quilt and sew to completely encase the batting but such a thin edge where you don't have any batting, may not work so well for a traditional finish of a quilt with binding. You may have to do a knife edge finish. Again, you won't know until you try it so another good reason for a much smaller scale mock up.

So if I'm understanding, you are only going to use the batting on the "bed" of the quilt, and leave the sides without any?

That sort of thing can be done/used to be done more often than now. You'd basically just attach a skirt to the completed top. I'd want to gather it (at least 2 times the length) and not depend on just falling gently, but your way will also work.

Typically for a king sized quilt I go for roughly 3 yards square, so 108x108". I use batting the full width, sure it may be a bit stiff at first but it softens. Also I wouldn't use any thicker than warm and natural, or a medium/thin poly batt if drape is what you want.

Edit:
    Also, in your construction method using one back you should stabilize/quilt the sides at least lightly. Just channels going down every couple of inches would work, otherwise it will probably be a small nightmare after washing.
    Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-24-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the QB!
    I have never seen this before either, but if I were to try it I think I would gather or pleat the areas with no quilting so it looks less like a flat sheet.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    Welcome to the QB!
    I have never seen this before either, but if I were to try it I think I would gather or pleat the areas with no quilting so it looks less like a flat sheet.
    This is what I would suggest also. Many years ago my Mother in law had a store bought bedspread that was made like above. It looked very nice and the sides hung very nicely. The sides were just a single thickness of fabric.

Welcome from Missouri.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    We had those bedspreads growing up too, Jingle. I remember I had a lovely pink one made out of a shiny polyester. It was pretty.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    I had one growing up too. the quilted top was the size of the mattress, with a cording edge and the sides were the same fabric but gathered (about 2 x). I bought mine with s & h green stamps. lol
    Last edited by Jane Quilter; 08-24-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Yes, I think it will work fine. You just need to think through what to do first. :-)

Like some other comments, I had a similar item when young. We called it a bedspread. The quilted, thicker part, lay just over the top of the bed, while there were two sides, and a foot end that fell down nearly to the floor. The head of the bedspread just covered the mattress at the head, and the bedspread there was covered over with the pillows, which laid next to the wooden headboard of the bed. Quite often these bedspreads were used on beds that didn't have a footboard (called Hollywood beds). My bed did have a footboard, but it had room between the mattress and the footboard that allowed a place for the bedspread to drape down. Mine was not gathered, and the sides and foot that dropped to the floor were not lined. The single thickness of fabric was a heavier weight though than quilting cotton, something more like a textured linen.

Actually, you can find antique quilts made in this manner-- the main part that fits the top of the bed, with three rectangles attached around the outer edge for the drop over the bed to the floor.

You could box the corners, like making a huge tote bag corner, by sewing diagonally.

I don't see a problem with putting wadding just in one area, so long as the edge where it is enclosed is secure, to stop the wadding from moving out. If your sides that drop down are lined, it seems that would be fine. I've made plenty of baby blankets (often named a 'receiving blanket') that are light weight with only a pieced top and a cotton or flannel back, and I imagine your sides that drop down would be similar. If you prewash/shrink your all your fabrics, I think you may have a better overall success with your idea. I'd suggest prewashing/shrinking your wadding as well.

Best wishes for a fun time on Quilting Board! :-)
    Last edited by givio; 08-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have wondered about this but never saw anything written about it. Youngatheart, please keep us updated as to what you have done and did it work. Very interesting.

Iím thinking if you sleep alone it would be ok, but if you share the bed with someone else.....my husband has ALL the quilt each morning. I am lucky if I get enough to cover my hips and touch the mattress. Just thinking....if it is a cold night, you may end up with the thin edge of the quilt. :-)

Thank you for your kind welcome
    I have just taken a photo of my patchwork bed cover for all of you to see.
    The drop that you see on the ground is the same at the other side of the clothes line and on the left of the photo is the drop for the bottom of the bed.

Please remember it is my first and only patchwork bedspread I have made, and I must admit as my cover got larger and larger I did wonder whether I was digging a big hole for myself instead of starting off with something more simple.

I originally wanted a full quilt and designed the pattern to fit my bed, but very soon after completing the cover I became a full time carer.
    Now 5 yrs later I have a chance to finish it off

After reading all of your replies I'm wondering if I am just taking the easy way out in not completing the quilt as I wanted it in the beginning.

So here are the facts .. my sewing machine is a Janome MC 4900 which may cause me problems in dealing with a large quilt, and the other thing is I cannot go down the easier method of sewing in the ditch as my seams have been pressed open.
    Go on say it "I've definitely put myself in at the deep end"Name:  P1020855.JPG
Views: 788
Size:  1.15 MB

Blog Entries
    when i have one like that, i tend to stitch diagonally through the squares. looks great and is fairly easy. i have a Janome MC4800 with a six inch throat space.

Hi nativetexan
    If I can make it work that would be great, I will have to check out my wadding now to what I need

I did something similar to what you are suggesting but I did it by adding a purchased bed ruffle to the sides of my quilt. I was lucky to find one at the thrift store, brand new and matching the type fabrics I used in the quilt, which was a stack and whack pattern. I will try to explain what I did, lol.
    First, I did the sewing birthing style, with only a sheet for backing as I wanted mine lightweight. OK, so: I layered it thusly; if you want batting, spread it flat as the bottom layer. Next lay the pieced top out flat, right side up. Next place your sidepanels facing inside the backing; line up the seam edges with the top edges. Now lay your backing, right side down on top of the panels. And pin, pin, pin the edges together. Stitch around the edges being sure to catch all layers and leaving an opening at the bottom for turning your layers right side out. When you turn it, the seam will be on the inside with the batting and the backing, top and panels will be on the outside. You will lose the width of the seam from the panels, but it shouldn't be noticable.
    Mine was still a little too short, so I added a wide lace to the bottom of the ruffle. It's not perfect, but I was pretty happy with the results. Oh yes, I forgot to add the ruffle came with two pillow shams!
    Name:  My very first!.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  70.7 KBName:  added ruffle and lace.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  106.7 KB
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

There's no reason I can think of why you can't make it any way you prefer. Maybe you'll start a trend. It would certainly be easier to handle a large quilt on a domestic sewing machine if the edges were not full of batting, and if you have a warm climate, there isn't that much need for the extra warmth that would come from having it made the conventional way.

When I was a kid, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, we'd often seen commercial bedspreads in the Sears and Wards catalogs that had quilted tops with gathered skirts attached.

I like the colors you chose. Welcome to the board! Hope you'll hang around and show more pictures of your work.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

mac
    The only thing that I would be concerned about is the shrinkage between the top and the sides. Would it shrink at the same rate or would one the edges bunch up more/less than the top? My suggestion would be to make a small sample using the same fabrics and on one side put wadding and the other no wadding. Wash and dry the sample and see what happens. You can determine what your quilt will do from the sample.