Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is totally a mystery to me! >

Quilting is totally a mystery to me!

Quilting is totally a mystery to me!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 PM

Default Quilting is totally a mystery to me!

[TABLE="width: 99%, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD]Hi there! My ever dream is to make a quilt. I have so many questions, one of them is how the stitches (I assume are with sewing machine) or pattern are sewn to be so perfect!. Not the pieces of fabrics but all those intricate ones that give the cushy and comfy look!
Thank You.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 06-30-2014, 08:50 PM

It sounds like the stiches you are referring to is what is known as free motion quilting (FMQ). This stitching is done towards the end of the quilt-making process, once the top, batting, and backing have been layered together. There are specialized machines, called long-arm machines, that make it easier to do this. It can also be done with certain types of regualr machines, but can be more difficult do to having less room to manuever the quilt.

As for how the stitches look so great, practice! Some of the fancier machines also have some computer guidance. I haven't attempted FMQ yet myself, but I have read a lot about it. It can also be done by hand, of course, but that will take much longer!

I hope this was what you were referring to, and that this wasn't a rehash of things you already know! There is a lot to learn with quilting, but once you have some of the basics down, it's much easier to learn new concepts.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:51 PM

Free motion quilting is like anything else, practice, practice and more practice!!!!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:30 PM

Thank You so much for your reply. It definitely gave answer to my questions!!!. And since a haven't quilted just yet I only admire the wonderful work done on quilting; but as I mentioned, I will have to try for sure!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 PM

Yes, definitely give it a try! There are quilts you can make without FMQ as well - my first was a rag quilt, and right now I'm working on a basic patchwork square quilt that I will tie instead off quilting. Some people never do FMQ and send their quilt tops off the be finished by a local quilter. So there are plenty of options! You might be interested in taking a class, I took one through my local high school district. Enjoy!
Old 07-01-2014, 04:22 AM

Yes, I hope you give it a try. Star with a simple pattern and make a small lap or baby quilt. This way you will not be overwhelmed the first try. You can get bigger and more complicated as you get more comfortable with the process. Tying a quilt is the easiest way to finish a quilt it you just want to see one finished before you move on to the next step.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

About stitches, both hand and machine quilting takes a bit of practice. None of use got behind the wheel of a car and automatically drove perfectly. With any hobby, there is a learning curve. I would suggest going down to your local quilt store. There might be something small and simple that the staff can help you thru the process. We ALL need help at the beginning.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:26 AM

Welcome to the quilting world! Hope you enjoy....
this blog has a nice series of tutorials for beginners- http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/p/beg...ng-series.html
Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 AM

Your post didn't say if you know basic sewing skills. If you have those skills it will definitely make a difference in how fast you pick up quilting. My slight difference in direction regarding where to begin. I say pick something you really want. Quilting isn't normally a real fast thing to do and you have to really want to end up with the product. If you find something smaller that you really want to have in your life even better. As to the quilting stitching, most people who enjoy piecing are happy to send their quilts to someone who quilts if for them. I started by piecing and tying my quilts because I didn't even know there were people who did the quilting. I've made some really funny bo-bo's over the years and enjoy sharing those with others. You too will make some mistakes that you will look back and laugh about. Find a mentor. Know it's ok to fail. Quilters usually find a way to "make a mistake" workable. There are no rules. Do your thing. And as most of the posts mention - practice, practice, practice. Oh yes - go to youtube and type in quilt. There are thousands of them.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 AM

I learned almost everything I know from the QB or off the computer, and have been quilting for 15 years. Start out with something, like a baby blanket, because you can see the end to your project. If it doesn't suit your fancy, give it to your nearest women's shelter. Like anything else, it takes practice. I am still learning. Enjoy your new hobby!