Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Using Negative/Empty Spaces >

Quilting Using Negative/Empty Spaces

Quilting Using Negative/Empty Spaces

Old 07-06-2021, 05:13 AM

This gives me ideas!...
I've made stained glass windows with empty space in center. I'm gonna try something with fabric!
Attached Thumbnails nativity-.jpg  
Old 07-06-2021, 05:48 AM

I've been doing some looking and haven't come up with much other than the 3D techniques. I personally have always liked the look where it does look like you've laid out things on a floor or whatever, but I am using fabric.

We have so many variations on what is a quilt. For me, a quilt is a craft -- that is a usable object. My old tag line on my previous forums was something like "It might be made of three layers, but if you can't wrap a sick baby in it, then it's not a quilt!" but that is only my definition.

I'm fascinated by what I call the textile arts, the many things other people do that I don't -- the wall hangings, the truly three-dimensional, the indeed quilted objects that are too delicate for a sick baby. And the artists that work in fabric. We don't always understand art and statements, I feel I have too explain too much for my statements in my quilting to be understood to be art. It's like jokes -- if you have to explain it, it ain't funny. But for me, I know and it is enough.

So in Art Quilting that goes a step beyond Modern. People who are stretching boundaries out of squares/rectangles and challenging our concepts or making us re-examine our assumptions. I have seen quilts (in a museum show!) that included organic/decomposing waste. Interactive quilts with pockets. Quilts with holes, usually for meaning (often broken hearts) but sometimes mostly aesthetics. I seem to remember an infinity symbol made with Y2K pieces? At least a lot of little pieces, two holes, and the figure 8 shape, no straight edges except the seams.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:31 AM

I'm sorry...I can't find any good pix right now. One pic that I remember was of a floor cloth, all one color and pieced like a simple quilt. The outer edge of the cloth consisted of triangles, with some of them "missing" to create a lattice look. It looked a little like cut-work, but it was not embroidered, just one color of patchwork. Beautiful texture!