Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Wool >

Quilting with Wool

Quilting with Wool

Old 10-26-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Quilting with Wool

I've been seeing a LOT of 100% wool garments at our local VA Store and was wondering if anyone has ever ventured making a wool quilt. I actually bought a few pieces - skirt, a few coats and a blazer - all for under $2 each and am cutting them up into 2" and 4" HST's in an attempt to put together a quilt. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this crazy notion and wondered what your thoughts were.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

sounds like a great idea
Old 10-26-2013, 05:03 PM

I use the wool from Goodwill garments in art quilts. I wash the garment in hot water...this will felt it....except thin wool like Pendleton skirts just wash up like flannel. I think it's a great way to get cool textiles. If I were a traditionalist, a wool quilt made up of squares (perhaps I think of squares because of memories from childhood!) would be awesome. A great snuggle blankie in the wintertime.
Have fun, and keep searching! For wool that is!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:08 PM

DH had several of his suits attacked by moths and I plan to rescue the fabric for at least one quilt. Just haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:31 PM

I have 5 of my late husband's suits, and some wool shirts. I want to make a quilt to snuggle with, but so far have been afraid to cut them up. I plan on making just squares or rectangles. Keep it simple. And I may just tie it, with a thin layer of something in middle, and flannel on back.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 PM

Interesting idea. I would assume you might back it with cotton fabric, but you would not use batting as it would be too heavy.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:21 AM

I love wool for applique, don't have to worry about raw edges fraying. There are lots of primitive country patterns out there.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Wool fabric comes in many weights - from almost see-through sheer to very thick.

I had considered making a quilt of large squares of slacks and skirt weight wools- but then gave all the wool I had away.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
Interesting idea. I would assume you might back it with cotton fabric, but you would not use batting as it would be too heavy.
Mine are backed with wool and include batting, sometimes a blanket and sometimes regular batting. They aren't 'too heavy' at all in New Hampshire winters, quite the contrary. I get beautiful hand-dyed wool that's been cut for rug making (20" by 3 yards) from the local mill store.
http://dorrmillstore.com/index.php
Old 10-27-2013, 11:02 AM

I also purchase wool at the Goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift Store...I felt it and use it..it is really a lot of fun. I am just sort of new using this medium and I am really loving it. I made a throw of wool squares which I didn't felt..it is really pretty..I didn't back it at all. I found the pattern in a primitive quilt book..lots of fun for sure!