Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting your Bow Tucks

I am new to making Bow Tucks and I was wondering if you always quilted your bags? I did on my first one and I loved how it turned out. But it does add a lot of time to making the bag. I was wondering how they held up with no quilting....

Thanks....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    I am new to making Bow Tucks and I was wondering if you always quilted your bags? I did on my first one and I loved how it turned out. But it does add a lot of time to making the bag. I was wondering how they held up with no quilting....

Thanks....
    I agree that it takes a lot longer, but you don't have to do anything too fancy. I ended up just doing the pocket. I don't like the bulk of the batting so I just used fusible interfacing. It doesn't puff out the quilting, so I may use flannel next time. You could just channel quilt parts of it. Just remember you are the artist and whatever you do is right. Remember, no quilt police here.

Blog Entries
    I always quilt mine some but not a lot. I just do a few straight line grids.

some i do some i donot also have used different types of batting most of mine are made with leftovers so really keeps cost done

I like the quilted effect. But if you don't want it just skip it.

Blog Entries
    I've made many bags with no quilting and they have held up well.

Thanks...I will probably try both.....

Blog Entries
    I just finished my first one today. I didn't quilt it...I'm too chicken! I just wanted it done!!

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I always quilt mine some but not a lot. I just do a few straight line grids.
    Me too.

When I do mine, I do straight lines on the lining at 2" apart. For the outside I do cross hatching at 2" apart. Doesn't take me long. I just use chalk and draw all the lines at on time. Takes me about 20 min. to stitch it all. I don't do the outside pocket. I don't like the way it looks.

I don't mind doing the quilting...I think it adds a little 'something' to the finished product. I did a free-motion meandering pattern on the top part. I did nothing on the pocket except stitch in the ditch between the band and the pocket, and I did diagonal stitches on the striped base. My upper purse was a tan with pink, peach and orange flower and I used a peachie color thread to do the free-motion. When it was finished, I 'hot-fixed' a little crystal in the center of each flower. On the pocket, there were 2 large flowers side-by side...that was one reason I did not fm there. And I put several crystals in the middle of them. I like the way it turned out and I have had lots of compliments. One of these days I will dig out my camera and take a picture to post.

Yes Pam, post a picture....the crystals sound so pretty...