Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quiltmaking chores I would cheerfully never do again..... >

Quiltmaking chores I would cheerfully never do again.....

Quiltmaking chores I would cheerfully never do again.....

Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 PM

I steer away from most hand sewing. I'm capable of doing this, but I will figure out a way to use my sewing or quilting machine so I don't have to hand sew. Hand sewing is not in my vocabulary. Isn't that why machines were created?
Old 05-23-2016, 03:57 AM

This has been an interesting thread to read. About the only part of quilting that I have issues with is the actual quilting part. I'm a hand quilter. The current quilt I'm working on I selected a non-continuous quilting pattern. I stopped after less than 1/2 a block quilted because it's making me crazy. I just need to bite the bullet and rip and re-do something different. And soon as the baby it's for is now a month old! I also have another top that is all NYB blocks that I just can't come up with a quilting design that won't make me crazy with all those seams! That's been a UFO for years now but it's only for me so no deadlines to worry about with that one.

Otherwise, not even deadlines bother me as I can usually plan far enough ahead for the quilting to be done.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

i dont like the cutting have to do a little each day hurts my hands!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:30 AM

Love it all if I'm working on a project of my choice, every bit of it I enjoy... now if it's for somebody else and I'm not so fond of the colors or fabrics, it can be more of a chore. I started making a quilt for each of my nieces when they were old enough to move to 'big girl' beds and made another when they graduated from high school and have just started the third round when they get married, or if not that have a child/buy a house reach another adult milestone. The first ones were easy and fun, the second they had opinions.... and it only gets more challenging. But I love my girls and they love their quilts so I smile and make what they want, for the most part. It just takes longer since I break it up with some sanity projects...
Old 05-23-2016, 02:11 PM

I enjoy almost all of the quilting process that I have encountered thus far, except... some Y shaped seams I had to do on my current quilt's border corners. Yukkkk. I'm not that fond of binding, either. Nice mitered corners elude me.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:27 PM

I'm with you Fraew, I just done a QAYG with SID on 110 Blocks! NEVER again!
Old 05-29-2016, 08:20 PM

1) Picking out a backing. it seems I have to have the 'right' backing for every quilt or the quilt won't get quilted. About 20 quilts are waiting for the right backing.

2) Binding.

3) CLEAN UP is a big problem. i was born with the 'take it out' gene fully turned on, but I'm pretty sure the 'put it back' gene is completely missing from my genetic make up.

That's enough. If I keep thinking about what I don't like to do, I might give up quilting. Then what would I do with all my fabric?
Old 05-30-2016, 07:23 AM

As I am at the point of sandwiching my finished top for FMQing, I thought of something I don't like. Snipping off those strings on the back of the quilt!! Especially on a larger quilt. I have tried snipping as I go, but more strings appear. I dislike doing it once, so not doing it twice!!

I'm also not fond of doing the quilt sandwich on a larger quilt (because of needing to find the space, and just the sheer amount of fabric to maneuver).

Binding is so-so, but I am always confused (and never seem to remember) how to join the ends together smoothly when finishing it off. Sometimes I am directionally challenged, and more than once have sewn those edges together wrong and had a twist, so had to pull and and readjust.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
CLEAN UP is a big problem. i was born with the 'take it out' gene fully turned on, but I'm pretty sure the 'put it back' gene is completely missing from my genetic make up.
Thank you for that expert explanation. I NEVER even considered that I was genetically flawed in that same arena. I miss the "put it back" gene. YES!