Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts for kids    envelope method have u tried it? >

quilts for kids envelope method have u tried it?

quilts for kids envelope method have u tried it?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 AM

I've made a few quilts like this and I've found the finished item looks best if the quilt is tied instead of quilted. :D :D (But my machine quilting sucks so that's probably why.... :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Hi, That method is the main way I make Linus quilts. They can then be tied or quilted very basically. It saves on having to bind them. I actually use my serger to sew the basic envelope and then finish with my sewing machine. There is a way to also machine tie that I have used. Just set your machine to make a very small/short buttonhole if you have that capability. That way the "tie" is backstitched at both ends. Then I just lift the pressure foot and move to the next tie location. When I am done I just cut off the threads that run from one tie to the next. Finished quilt.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I like the idea of machine tying :D:D:D
The Downy quilts are requested to be heavily machine quilted, due to the daily washing they get in the hospital laundry. But they don't care what method you use to construct them :D:D:D
Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 AM

I have used the envelope method (also called 'birthing' a quilt), and had no problem. The fabrics were squared up prior to sewing, and laid flat after the quilt was turned. I quilted one,and tied another.

I have found learning new methods a challenge, and have to try them to find out if they work for me.

Give it a shot. You may find it a very workable solution. :thumbup:
Old 12-30-2009, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
Hi, That method is the main way I make Linus quilts. They can then be tied or quilted very basically. It saves on having to bind them. I actually use my serger to sew the basic envelope and then finish with my sewing machine. There is a way to also machine tie that I have used. Just set your machine to make a very small/short buttonhole if you have that capability. That way the "tie" is backstitched at both ends. Then I just lift the pressure foot and move to the next tie location. When I am done I just cut off the threads that run from one tie to the next. Finished quilt.
I, too, like the envelop method for my charity quilts and like using this method as it's a bit faster than binding, for me, anyway.

When I quilt the blankets, I start quilting with a bit longer stitch and stitch down the center of the quilt and then quilt FROM THAT CENTER line to the outsides of the quilt making sure I smooth as I go. I've had good luck doing the quilting this way. Quilts lay flat, look good and MOST of the time I don't end up with puckers or other unsightly wows that I have to tear out and redo. I use a walking foot on my machine and this helps make your fabrics glide through the quilting process without so many puckers, too. LOVE my walking foot.

Tying vs Quilting: I do both (NOT WELL on the quilting but I'm learning)! Another thing I've done instead of the suggested tiny "button hole" quilt tying, I use the decorative stitch on my machine that looks like a STAR. I enlarge the star as large as my machine will allow which produces a star about the size of a pencil eraser and I do these stars around the quilt about every 4 to 6 inches apart. When I've done all the stars, I go back and cut the threads between each star. The finished look is great and it's a pretty easy application.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:14 AM

Feathers, I love the "star" idea! :D