Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilts from a lost loved one. >
  • quilts from a lost loved one.

• quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:45 PM
    Power Poster

As my mother was dying my then 17 yr old daughter and I finnished a lap quilt for her that my daughter then gifted to her. She used it for the remaining 8 weeks of her life. My daughter now has it and uses it every day. I would definitley take them back and store them or if any relatives would really like one as a memory quilt give them one that speaks to them. Even if you are not ready keep one that reminds you most of your mother. I know this is very hard. My mother is now gone 5 yrs. I would still not be ready but my daughter was.
    Old 01-01-2011, 05:46 PM

My grandfather was a huge Florida Gators fan and I made him a wallhanging for this team. He passed away last month and my mom had it draped in front of the coffin at his funeral. Afterwards she gave it back to me. It's not something I would normally hang, but I think I will hang it next football season and seeing it will make me think of him.

If I were you, I wouldn't do anything rash and get rid of the quilts you made for your mom. Put them away until the sight of them brings happy memories rather than pain. They are a symbol of your love for your mom.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
    Old 01-01-2011, 05:47 PM

So sorry to hear of your Mother's passing. You are in my thougths and prayers.

Hold on to them, as you will treasure them as time passes. I have some of Mama's that she made years ago.

She had lots more and my sister or some of her family broke into Mama's house and stole all of them while Mama was in the nursing home. They probably sold them all.

Your sister was so kind to offer them to you.

It makes me feel closer to Mama with her things.
    Old 01-01-2011, 06:43 PM

I would take them back. I think eventually you will be glad you did. I have a quilt that my granny made for my folks. My kids thinks it's the best.
    Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 AM

My sister passed away a year ago. She had a quilt that she made for her son who was killed in a motorcycle accident over 30 years ago. She told me not to give it to anyone or use it. She didn't want anyone to use it. What am I supposed to do with it? It is a white quilt with pink roses crossstitched on it. He died in the 70's but she didn't finish the quilt till the late 80's. What can I do with it?
    Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny
    My sister passed away a year ago. She had a quilt that she made for her son who was killed in a motorcycle accident over 30 years ago. She told me not to give it to anyone or use it. She didn't want anyone to use it. What am I supposed to do with it? It is a white quilt with pink roses crossstitched on it. He died in the 70's but she didn't finish the quilt till the late 80's. What can I do with it?
    Do you have a library, hospital or senior center which might like to display it in a room, lobby or corridor? That way it still belongs to you but others can enjoy it.
    Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny
    If you like it well enough, display it on a wall. Or simply honor her son by using it. What would he want done with it?
    Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 AM

I just don't know.She especially didn't want either of her other sons to haave it. I thought about looking up the girl he was to marry and give it to her but didn't know if that would be proper after all these years.
    Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 AM

Please take your time on making a descission you might regret later. I still have things of my Mom who is gone 25 years. A scarf I framed, a fur coat made into a teddy bear . My Dads conductor hat, his great Grandchild loves trains and wears it when we go to amtrack to see trains. Great memories !!!!! Sorry for your loss God Bless
    Old 01-04-2011, 07:42 AM

I am piecing double knit quilt blocks cut out by my mothre more than 20 years ago and I find it comforting that she spent all that time cutting them. I could not throw them away. I know lots of people think double knits are the worst to make quilts but I picked a block with 25 pieces and the blocks are very colorful and absolutely beautiful. Thanks mom! I am enjoying finishing what she started so long ago and I believe the kids and grandkids who knew her well will be overjoyed to get the quilts when I am done. The quilt is yours now. Do what you think is right and enjoy the journey.