Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilts with panels

I was wondering how many people make quilts using panels. When I say panel quilts I mean the whole range from the entire quilt being panels to using only 1 pillow square panel and using other type blocks or stripes around the one pillow square. What. Is your opinion of these type quilts.

they work for me, especially if I am in a hurry to finish a quilt for something that came up unexpected.

i have done one it was a pannel with the bible verse from our wedding and i did a log cabin star around it it looked good but i dont realy like the ones with the pictures on them but i think its real a personal preference. that said im going to be makiny two panel quilts for my brothers in law for christmas since i got them in a box off fabric i was given so i thought the boys would like them and less work for me than peiceing them a quilt.

They make up very quickly. I like them for quick gifts.

Blog Entries
    I've used them. They've been called cheater panels but I've seen some pretty great looking quilts that started out as panels. I don't consider them cheating at all.

Ive used a few and some are not squared right so pieced borders can be a problem.

I'm not in to it much..but have made a few for friends..when they like something..here's an idea of one !! I just cut the panel and built log cabin blocks around it..had to add the stripe to male it work !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a couple I have done...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-127813-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-127809-1.htm

This second one, the whole center was a large panel.

Blog Entries
    I'm using a small one to practice hand quilting. This craft is so diverse, anything goes.

Here is the one I finished recently: I really enjoy the fast satifaction with the panel. Have another that I am waiting to start.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130140-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I've done a few. There's all kinds of borders u can do to make it bigger. They are fun I've done simple and been elaborate. Have fun.!!

I have made 3 a lap quilt for charity, 1 for my sis-in-law and a doll quilt. Using the same panel used for my sis-in-laws only a smaller panel

I love panels, they have such beautiful realistic ones now.

Blog Entries
    Isn't there a book about how to chop up the panels and then add to it? I am looking for such a book. I'm pretty sure I saw one once upon a time.

Blog Entries
    I did the free project quilt Hearts of Valor from windham fab; I even used mostly their fabrics. The only thing that I changed out was they had one eagle panel at the top and I put one at top and bottom. You can find alot of great panels out there to inspire you

Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    Isn't there a book about how to chop up the panels and then add to it? I am looking for such a book. I'm pretty sure I saw one once upon a time.
    I have one called Panel Magic by Sandra Hatch & Sue Harvey. Some great ideas on how to use panels...

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodyWB
    I'm not in to it much..but have made a few for friends..when they like something..here's an idea of one !! I just cut the panel and built log cabin blocks around it..had to add the stripe to male it work !!
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :P :thumbup: :thumbup: MelodyWB this is a beautiful quilt. Do you mind if I copy the idea. I love Log Cabin and I have a Pheasant Panel that I wanted to make for my husband as it is his favoite bird. Thank You for sharing. BrendaK

They work for me, especially if I need a baby blanket or something real quick.

Blog Entries
    I've used them, they can be really beautiful. I have the panels to make my DD a Peter Pan one, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Don't really need a book to do this. Just eyeball, measure and go for it! My first quilt was a Cars quilt that I made from a panel and coordinating fabric for my grandson. I shadow quilted around the different components in the panel and he loved it! Check out the bottom quilt......lol.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-7343-1.htm

Blog Entries
    There is a book "Illustrated Guide to Panel Magic" by House of White Birches Volume 6. It is written by Sandra Hatch and Sue Harvey.

I used panels on this quilt surrounded by pieced blocks and after the ladies at our church quilted it, it sold at auction for $95. The center panel design was copied and used as the quilting design in the corner white blocks, the rest of the quilting was feathers and outline around the motifs. it was hand-quilted and finished at about 62" square.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have used them several times. There are some really pretty panels.

Blog Entries
    lots of them- a panal is just another piece of fabric there to be used...in what ever creative way my little mind can come up with :)

Blog Entries
    I make them from religious themed fabric. Usually meant to use as lap quilts, but virtually every one I've made ends up on a wall.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast