Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Restless Fingers >

Quilts for Restless Fingers

Quilts for Restless Fingers

Old 01-27-2024, 01:06 PM

Default Quilts for Restless Fingers

I want to make a quilt for a friend who has lost her eyesight. She spends a lot of time sitting with a small quilt on her lap and I've noticed her fingers are always twirling or fiddling with threads on the quilt. I'd like to make something small for her lap and would love to see what you have made.
Old 01-27-2024, 01:44 PM

Could you make a fidget quilt with different textures, beads, maybe some beads that spell out words of love and encouragement in brail? What a wonderful friend you are!
Old 01-27-2024, 01:47 PM

If you do a Google search for Fidget quilts, you will get lots of ideas. These are used for people with dementia and Alzheimer's in many instances.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM

You can also look at crazy quilts.They're like the arty great aunt of the fidget quilts.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by polkweed View Post
You can also look at crazy quilts.They're like the arty great aunt of the fidget quilts.
Polkweed, I'm not sure whether that quilt is in your collection but it is just gorgeous! I love how it looks like they actually embroidered over the flowers in the pale green floral print... thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Gemm; 01-29-2024 at 08:11 PM. Reason: removed photo (duplicated from previous post)
Old 01-30-2024, 08:24 AM

polkweed

That block you showed is gorgeous. Is it part of a quilt?
Old 01-30-2024, 10:20 AM

Does your friend KNOW Braille? if yes GREAT as she will be able to know what you are telling her automatically. If not GREAT as you can post the word in iron-on/embroidered letters and then the braille word. The USA Library for the Blind will send you a braille/print English book so you can get the exact spelling of the braille words. I used to have several friends that were blind thru our church but they have moved/passed. I still have the books that one of them sent for for me. From time to time I add a few words from the braille to a quilt or wall hanging.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:40 AM

Oh, no. I grabbed that from an image search to give an idea of what I was talking about. A proper crazy quilt is on my list of highly ambitious someday projects, right next to the cathedral window.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:59 AM

Good morning Barbara,
Depending on her age and what she likes to touch, you have many options. Here are some of the ones I have still have pictures of, you can also search fidget quilts on the QB and find other styles.
The square one is the size of a large coaster 5-6 inches and the others about a place mat size. Size is up to you, just have fun sewing different things together,
You are a great friend.
Attached Thumbnails dsci3824c.jpg   dsci3808c.jpg   dsci3810c.jpg