Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts that take a lot of time >

Quilts that take a lot of time

Quilts that take a lot of time

Old 02-01-2024, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I'm a one at a timer too. I don't get bored with my projects. I don't have UFOs. Sometimes I have one to take to the once a month that I keep in the travel thing and one in my quilting room. I finish everything. I don't have a stash. I know it is odd. I am not trying to save money. I quilt for my own pleasure. Sometimes my mojo disappears for a while. I just do other things and don't fret about it. This seems to work for me and am not giving advice, just saying how it goes for me.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

I typically work on only one quilt at a time, though there have been exceptions, usually with one in piecing mode and one on the longarm. I don't have UFO's, unless you count small items that were started in a class. If I like the technique taught in a class, I will finish the quilt. If not, I look at it as a learning experience, not as a UFO.

But to answer the original question, yes, I do often get tired of looking at a quilt while it's being made, and once it's finished I am often just not in love with it. After some time passes I start to see the beauty rather than the flaws.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:09 PM

I am like others here. I work on more than one quilt at a time. Depending on my mood drives what project I work on that day. Right now, I am doing a polka dot quilt that has been in the works or at least thought on for about 4 years.
I enjoy all the process of making quilts. Some are a bit monotonous but I realize that's just part of the process. I love making quilts!
Old 02-01-2024, 12:58 PM

I work on one thing at a time until it’s finished. If I would have more than one thing going, I think I would have a lot of UFO’s.

The only exception was the recently finished Goodnight Irene size 104x117.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:30 AM

I find that once I unpack a quilt top that I've finished and was really tired of, I'm always surprised at how good it looks. There's a benefit to not finishing everything.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:28 PM

Oh, to have a tidy mind. I always have a few projects in the works but I do finish them all. (Except one quilt I cut patches for but didn’t sew up because I just didn’t think it worked.)

I listen to audiobooks (free ones) and podcasts while I sew but my mind is often thinking about the next project.

I’ve been making a quilt for DH. But I had a grandchild due on Feb 12 so finally made a decision and ordered the fabric on line (so risky!).

In the 10 days it took to arrive (we live remotely so the post is always slow and the fabric shop had a long Christmas break). DH wanted a computer cover so I prioritised that over his quilt. While I was making it I had a great idea to make my own fabric from scraps for a computer cover for me. I didn’t make the cover though, just the fabric which I quilted.

While waiting for a friend to visit and help me choose a ”white” fabric for the baby quilt I got back to DH’s quilt. Then the baby arrived 3 weeks early! Mad rush to get the baby quilt finished. DH’s quilt is on hold!

If I’m not binding a quilt in front of the TV at night I will be hand sewing a small landscape. (Or sometimes folding clothes!!)
Old 02-03-2024, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I am a one project at a time gal, I don’t mind the time it takes to make a quilt. Quilting is my Zen time and way to reduce stress. I have started a few projects and decided I no longer wanted to put the effort in, I offer those up here on the board and have zero guilt doing so!
I'm a one project at a time, as well. I usually do each step of the block for each block, so when I'm done with that step, I'm done with it. So by the time I'm done with the last step of making the block, every single block is finished. -- in other words, I don't make one block at a time. I build every block with each step, along the way. So I don't get bored with the (I've done 10 blocks, only 20 more to go mentality) I love watching it all come together that way and I don't feel like I'm constantly restarting like I would if I finished one block at a time from start to finish before starting the second block, then the third etc..
Old 02-03-2024, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
I find that once I unpack a quilt top that I've finished and was really tired of, I'm always surprised at how good it looks. There's a benefit to not finishing everything.
That gave me the giggles!
Old 04-22-2024, 09:38 AM

I have several quilts in progress all the time. I have four now in various stages. Sometimes I just have to live with the quilt for a while before moving on to the next step.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:06 PM

In pretty much every quilt there is a point where I just want to be done and move on to the next. I've learned it isn't in my best interest to switch projects -- but it does make it a lot easier to give them away when I'm done!

We are so close to the projects and are aware of whatever issues there are. It takes me about 6 months after finishing to fully appreciate them again.