Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts using toile fabrics? >

quilts using toile fabrics?

quilts using toile fabrics?

Old 07-03-2020, 09:36 AM

Default quilts using toile fabrics?

I have had six yards of this fabric for many years. I have never been able to make myself cut it or seen a pattern that is up to it's luxurious quality If you've made a toile quilt would you share an image? An online search just returns solid commercial quilts, at least for me. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails green-toile.jpg  
Old 07-03-2020, 09:43 AM

I have used pieces of toile in a crazy quilt but only smaller pieces here and there. They do make a difference in the blocks and can set a blocks tone with beauty. I tried to a take a picture but the picture did not come out as I wanted it to and does not show the toile well. I am going to try and take another picture and post it here in a bit.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Sorry no pics here .....

I saw a gorgeous toile quilt done a few years ago, where the "picture" areas were fussy cut out then snowballed and framed up with other fabrics. Lots of possibilities as to what sort of a pattern you work with ... stars, trellis, etc. For my spin off I used the Warm Wishes pattern.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:54 AM

No pics here either, but I used sort of a blue storybook toile as QuiltE mentioned, snowball the picture with alternate blocks or I pieced squares into sashing with that one. I love snowballs for show casing large prints.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:31 AM

How about a Snowball and Nine-Patch? The large area of the snowball would show your fabric well and you could coordinate the 9P blocks to your focus fabric.

ETA: I should have read the other comments before I posted. I guess great minds really do think alike!

Last edited by wesing; 07-03-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

I have seen a quilt with toile fabric on QB. Maybe put it in the search box feature?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Ohhhhh I have a pattern somewhere, let me see if I can find it. I never made it because I couldn't find a suitable toile, lol.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:59 AM

Well a bit of a false alarm, I'm afraid. I found the pattern, but it doesn't use that much toile, unfortunately. The website listed on the back of the pattern is also gone. I suppose you could still make the pattern and use the toile for the back of the quilt (that's what I like to do any time I find a fabric I simply can't cut), but you make 2-sided quilts, and I don't think you do much applique?

Here's the pattern:
Attached Thumbnails bittersweet.jpg  

Last edited by Peckish; 07-03-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:07 AM

How about something like this? It's simple and lets the focus rest on the toile print.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/103231016437978581/
Old 07-03-2020, 12:24 PM

Here is one that is very pretty with instructions https://susies-scraps.com/2015/05/26...h-and-pattern/ and here are some ideas using star blocks https://clmtquilter.blogspot.com/p/s...-bbs-2015.html I love toiles and have a few that I have not used yet. I did use a beautiful blue one and made valances for my SIL and she loves them. Good Luck