Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts of Valor Potential Problem >

Quilts of Valor Potential Problem

Quilts of Valor Potential Problem

Old 06-30-2019, 10:18 AM

I think the idea of QoV is wonderful, but am also wondering if they are actually used.

Another group had a thread re the local VA taking QoV's, but putting them in a closet rather than having a veteran use them! It seems they do not want to be responsible for damage done in washing (which I guess makes sense if they are using large, industrial machines?) so instead, they just put them away. There's a storage area full of them.

So sad!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:02 AM

true of any group effort I think. the nursing home my mother was in had a bathroom sized closet stuffed to the top with quilts and afghans. They can only use so many of anything, and staff also has to remember to offer them to residents which doesn't happen very often.

The local police/fire have a storage unit full of teddy bears for kids in peril or whatever, I've been told by two cops no one ever thinks to go get some.

I had several customers who quilted for charity who couldn't get through their house because of the donated fabric, they just couldn't say no to free..

Our animal shelter when I worked there for four years had stacks of crochet/knitted cat blankets. all way too small to be of any use, and now the cats are kept in open rooms and don't use them anyway, yet people still bring them. Also the crumb dog beds, totally useless for shelter dogs.

Someone here posted a few days ago they are in charge of hauling off fabric donated to guilds. All meant in good hearts, but people just don't stop to think when enough is too much.

I guess this might be meta discussion or off topic but a subject that just doesn't get much conversation, no one wants to hear it.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:06 AM

I have often wondered if all the RWB quilts are just a bit too much for the recipients. Depending on the individual, it could be a "trigger" for stress. I know that others would be honored to have this warm reminder of their service. Why not a beautiful quilt effort with a label that indicates the rationale for giving the quilt to the vet? I have also seen some stunningly lovely quilts that are RWB but not with an your face military service focus. Sensitivity should be part of our efforts to honor those we admire and the service they have given to our countries. (Canada also does QoV. and there may be other countries too.)
Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 AM

Also consider, men are generally warmer than women, do they get cold enough to want a quilt? My second hubby is from Hawaii and is a chilly willy like me. My first hubby was a furnace and constantly kicked off all covering beyond a sheet. Many appreciate the gesture, whether they actually use the quilt or not. As for nursing homes, police/fire department and shelters, as always, best to ask first.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:30 AM

Go to this website, lots of great informations for you. www.qovf.org
Old 07-01-2019, 06:36 AM

My father is 98, WWII vet, Korean War Vet, my brother and husband are also vets. They all have asked me to make quilts for them that reflect the things they enjoy doing now, or something fun looking, not veterans quilts. They also suggested something small to put on their legs while watching TV. My dad said he'd like something with the great grandkids photo's on it and that is exactly what he got.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Thanks for all your responses. I am going ahead with the flag fabric after hearing back from the local QOV coordinator. The QOV chapter that we belong to (the guild) follows the QOV national's guidelines. They do not want floral quilts or novelty quilts only "patriotic" quilts. Thanks again for everyone's input!
Old 07-02-2019, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

Another group had a thread re the local VA taking QoV's, but putting them in a closet rather than having a veteran use them!
I would go get them back and give to individuals not to a place to distribute. The QOV chapter I belong to gives them to the veteran in a ceremony. Never given to a place to be handed out.