Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts of Valor >

Quilts of Valor

Quilts of Valor

Old 07-30-2018, 02:56 AM

I just wandered the Mary Quilts website mentioned above and the last quilt may meet what you are looking for, Patriotic Rail Fence. Simple pattern that could use any combination of RWB fabrics. But keep in mind that that is not requirement that the quilt be RWB. A number of the quilts on Mary Quilts, are shown in colors other than RWB. A QOV does not have to be eagles, waving flags or fireworks. All of those are acceptable and appropriate but not required.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 07-30-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:26 AM

Please ask your LQS. If they are supporting QOV, then please support the shop. After you make one, you will have idea on other fabrics that will look good. We have QOV sew days at my LQS where string blocks are made. All fabrics are supplied. We just provide the labor to make them. Normally done with RWB of every shade and pattern, and they look great. Have fun!
Old 07-30-2018, 04:01 AM

Here are two QoVs made from red white and blue scraps from other projects One was a 1600 that I hated and cut into it adding diagonal sashing. Some of the blue fabric had stars on it but the rest were leaves, geometric etc. Use what you have !!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]598573[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]598574[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails qov_1.jpg   qov_2.jpg  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

eparys...love how you took the 1600 quilt up a notch...makes it very striking! And a great use of left over squares..Are they 2 1/2" cuts?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
eparys...love how you took the 1600 quilt up a notch...makes it very striking! And a great use of left over squares..Are they 2 1/2" cuts?
Thanks - the 1600 looked blah so I just cut into it. I was pleased with the results. The other one I had small yardage pieces so when I cut the red and blue squares I cut them at 3" and the blocks finished at 10". You could use precut 2 1/2 inch squares (or cut your own) - the block would just finish at 8" and you would need more of them!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 AM

Nice save on a quilt you disliked. It is a wonderful surprise to look at it. Your other on the LA is striking too.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Suz

I was involved with QOVs for 7-1/2 years. When selecting fabric do not choose anything that looks alike an explosion and your pattern should not look like the American flag when completed. The reasoning is obvious. Also, all of your work should withstand many many washings since many of them are sent to a hospital setting wherein they are vulnerable to splashing. In other words, everything should be machine stitched.

You will find this the most rewarding work you will ever do for an unknown person. Good luck and thanks for supporting our troops.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Check out this blog. She has several designs for QOV as well as other ideas

https://maryquilts.com/ideas-for-veteran-quilts/
Lots of great patterns.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:15 AM

Here is a page on the Quilts of Valor website that has free patriotic quilt patterns. They are in PDF format and you can download them right from your computer.

https://www.qovf.org/quilters-questions/quilt-patterns/
Old 07-31-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
My LQS is starting a Quilts of Valor chapter and I would like to participate... but I really struggle with picking patriotic fabrics and making the look good

Does anyone here know where QOV kits can be bought? I think that will be my best bet
Congrats to your Guild and Welcome Aboard the QOV Train. I am a QOV quilter. Not sure about QOV Kits, but check out the FACEBOOK group "Quilts of Valor Stars" as they have a ton of patterns under the Files tab, as does the QOV page. Just look at all the various quilts that have been awarded and you'll see that the sky is the limit.
www.persimmonquilts.com/ has a bunch of free patterns as well and mystery quilts if you like those. My QOV group just uses R/W/B fabric and uses any pattern they like. You'll do just fine. Just lay your colors out and see what pleases your eyes.
Also, every year the QOV has a Block of the Year. That will help you too.

Last edited by tuckyquilter; 07-31-2018 at 11:40 AM.