Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts in the War Zone >

Quilts in the War Zone

Quilts in the War Zone

Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Dee

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

Love and appreciation for your sacrifice.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 AM

Thanks for sending that link. Their is a quilt group in Dunnelon , Fl that was one of the first guilds to do this.
Fantastic work!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:59 AM

My daughter and I went to the Amory and received names and addresses of two National Guard soldiers from Michigan. Both are serving in Bagram. Their packages are ready to go except for a letter introducing ourselves to them. Thanks so much for this website. It sure brings things to reality!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
This morning I opened the front page of the Washington Post online edition as I always do. The Post had a photo essay of medical evacuations from Bagram Air Base, just outside Kabul, Afghanistan. In many of the photos showing wounded service men awaiting air transport to Germany, the guys were covered with colorful quilts! Made me think of all of you quilters who do this work for our guys and gals in the military. The photos on Washington Post don't stay very long, but I will provide the link here just in case you are able to catch the article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...rtslot#photo=6

God bless you quilters who send reminders of love to our military personnel. God bless our troops!

Thank you for posting the link. I have sent it on to all my quilter friends, especially those that do alot of charity quilts and quilts for soldiers. It's good to know they are being used for such a great cause. It warms my heart to know we can do something to give them comfort when they need it most.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 AM

After reading and sharing in all of the comments here, I woke up at 6am today with the idea of the next quilt I want to make for sending overseas. I am calling it I SPY AMERICAN PIE. It is going to be an adult I Spy quilt with all things Americana on it, including especially a nice big apple pie!! It will also have sports of all kinds, scenery from around the country, food treats, holidays, Peanuts, I Love Lucy and just lots of good old American stuff. The first border is a narrow yellow band on which I am going to sew, You Are NOT Forgotten. The next border a small red and white gingham. Then a larger blue and white gingham. Then a solid red border. I got right up and have it all cut out. Soon as I recover from that, I will start the sewing. I will put on a fleece back for extra warmth. I'm very excited about this project and hope to have it finished this week. Hugs and smiles, and thanks for the inspiration!!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 AM

Thank you for sharing, very emotional.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM

In some of the pictures the colorful quilts are a stark contrast to the greens and browns of army colors. The quilts seem to bring color to their surroundings as I'm sure it warms their hearts reminding them of home.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Tbullock I am so sorry for your loss.Thank you for your sacrifice. And thank you to all who have loved ones working for our freedom. Please express our heartfelt thanks to them for us. This really makes me want to make quilts for one of these causes. I will research the QOV for dimensions, etc.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tbullock
I am the mother of 2 soldiers who served in Iraq, on March 7th of 2007 my oldest son was killed in Baghdad with 2 other soldiers...His wife, daughter and myself have received several quilts from different guilds and organizations in the nation. I can't tell you how much it means to us to curl up in one of these labors of love knowing that someone cared enough about us to reach out...I like to think it is their way of giving me a hug when I need it.
As a former career army wife the military men and women have a special place in my heart. Thank you Tbullock for raising two fine sons who are willing to sacrafice so much for our country.My heart is with you as well. God Bless.