Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts with white in them, noticing them and they are very appealing >

Quilts with white in them, noticing them and they are very appealing

Quilts with white in them, noticing them and they are very appealing

Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy
Originally Posted by Boscobd
I think using white in a quilt makes for a beautiful vintage/old-fashioned quilt. I did a "twist" (my take) of Fons and Porters "Granny Stars" quilt using floral/cottage scraps and a white on white for the background. It is one of my favorite quilts. It has been loved and washed several times with no issues and I will continue to "love" it. IMO, the quilts I make, whether I keep them or gift them, are made to be loved and used.
You quilt sounds wonderful. Post a picture sometime. I have a quilt that my grandma made over fifty years ago with a white background and it still looks great. Have you seen the Brigitte Giblin website. I'm not computer savvy enough to get you there. Lots of beautiful quilts with white in them.
Here's a pic of my version of Fons and Porters Granny Stars. This is the top only. I haven't taken a pic of it finished yet. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-128697.jpe  
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 AM

Thank you for noticing, Morningstar!
This little "quilt" in my avatar is actually one block only, quilted. It comes from an old BBC mystery tv show that I was watching one time, and OF COURSE seeing a quilt in the scene I had to stop the DVR and run go get my camera to take a picture of this quilt being used as a prop!
It was almost exactly these colors and prints, as close as I could match them. And every block was identical.
The layout was a sort of "lightning strike" zigzag pattern, which I have never quite figured out.
The main pattern is sort of a Lily pattern I think.
Or it could be a rising, or "morning," star as well.
In the movie it was nothing special to the story, but it made my day to see an old quilt like that. One day I might figure out how to make it "zigzag" properly.

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
I know!! My thing is white with bits of reds here and there. Yummy.
Just noticed your avatar when reading --yesterday i helped a lady with a quilt kit she was given and it looked like this.
Do you know your pattern name? Her paper said
"Canadian Star" and i was very interested what yours is !!

Would you pm me please?
Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 AM

A few 6-7 yrs ago ,a relative gave me a quilt bought in a store.It's white with a tiny amt of embroidered branches with a few leaves scattered on it & stipple quilted.I wash all quilts/blankets at least twice a yr Spring & Fall.The white quilt looks like new. I wouldn't hesitate to make a white quilt.

Originally Posted by wildyard
White looks neat and clean at first, but I just can't get around thinking about how it's going to look after it's been "loved" a while. LOL
Old 11-18-2010, 03:36 AM

Very pretty quilt!

I think using white in a quilt makes for a beautiful vintage/old-fashioned quilt. I did a "twist" (my take) of Fons and Porters "Granny Stars" quilt using floral/cottage scraps and a white on white for the background. It is one of my favorite quilts. It has been loved and washed several times with no issues and I will continue to "love" it. IMO, the quilts I make, whether I keep them or gift them, are made to be loved and used.
You quilt sounds wonderful. Post a picture sometime. I have a quilt that my grandma made over fifty years ago with a white background and it still looks great. Have you seen the Brigitte Giblin website. I'm not computer savvy enough to get you there. Lots of beautiful quilts with white in them.
Here's a pic of my version of Fons and Porters Granny Stars. This is the top only. I haven't taken a pic of it finished yet. Enjoy!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the picture, it's very nice.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:36 PM

I agree...am going to do one with more whites next..
Old 11-28-2010, 06:07 PM

Absolutely beautiful!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the kudos. I really enjoyed making this quilt and so far have had no problems with the "white factor". I use it as a "power nap" quilt and it has been through the laundry several times. I figure that if it wears out or something happens to it, I'll just make another with a different pattern - a self-fulfilling prophecy!