Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts from wool -- REALLY?? >

Quilts from wool -- REALLY??

Quilts from wool -- REALLY??

Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 PM

I think I have one...got it at an auction. It's super heavy, but really warm.

I'll go take a picture of it for you.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145984.jpe  
Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

oh my goodness there are TONS of wonderful wool quilts!!!
visit Sue Spargo's web site...visit primative gatherings; visit the Cotton Patch Quilt Shoppe in East Tawas, Michigan, she has lots of BOM's to look at for inspiration...over the weekend i will get mine out and take a picture, i guess i need to do that anyway..
and yes, wash your wool in hot water with a small amount of detergent...i usually reset, agitate it for a good 20 minutes and make sure the water is HOT. then into a hot dryer...when it comes out it is ready for all kinds of wool projects -- i love working with wool!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 PM

Google "penny rugs" There are lots of beautiful ideas.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:50 PM

I have 2 pure wool quilts that DH's grandmother made, probably back in the late 1930's-40's. I use to use them but have them packed away.
They are 9 patch and tied.

thanks for the infor on the cedar chest. Thats where they are stored. Better check to make sure they're o.k.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Wool sold now for applique and quilting is very expensive. Don't get rid of any 100% wool skirts, blazers, or slacks. It will be bought up quick on ebay or here.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:01 PM

You can get a great deal on wool clothing at your local Good Will or Thrift Store....at least in the South. We don't wear a lot of wool any more...until this cold winter LOL!! We tend to have lots of the basic colors in skirts, blazers and men's suits. A lot of fabric for the price!!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Wools and velvets is what the crazy quilts use to be mad of I think.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM

Although this thread is old, maybe someone will see this.

I have had a wool quilt in the back of my mind for about 10 years. My mom had started cutting out wool squares many moons ago. She passed in 1999, and someone took the bag from their house. I am the only quilter in the famil and I was pretty blue that that happened. I sulked over it for a long time. But but but.... last weekend our local Goodwills ran a sale that anything you could fit into their giant bags you could get for 50% off. The light came on and I hit two different Goodwills. I nabbed 14 gorgeous old (but very clean) wool suit coats in various colors. All for under $40. They are sooo heavy...lol

I'm going to ck out the links provided, and see what I can do. To begin with I have to disassemble the jackets, and the added perk is ALL the gorgeous buttons on the suits. I wonder if I can make the double breasted lapels into some sort of crazy suit like prairie points....lol
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

I did a wool wallhanging about 50 X 50 years ago. It was from coat remnants that my aunt gave me. They were in bright blue, magenta, green and black tweed. Since the colours suggested an Amish look I did the large square in a square pattern. It still remains one of my favourites. I used 1/2 inch seams that I pressed open and I hand quilted it with larger stitches. It has been hanging as a piece of art for years and I vacuum it for cleaning. Since the colours are darker and it is wool I will not chance washing it.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 PM

Oooh, I have about 5 wool quilts on my to-do list! I live near a wool mill, so getting remnants is easy. I have quite a stash of various weights of wool, from the heavy felt-like wool to lightweight suiting. I plan to use the heavy wool to piece a simple backing for a denim quilt I made for my DH to take hunting. He needs warm and heavy for that!