Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilts wounds

Quilts wounds

Whilst loading my quilt top on pricked my thumb with a pin, jerked it back and stabbed by lip....bleeding in both places. DH suggests I just put the band aids on prior to the whole process, thus saving myself from myself....and he holds back the laughter during this whole thing. Grins to all klutz's like me.

you are not alone - I hurt myself all the time. Sometimes I even bleed on things - that just makes me mad!!!

To remove blood from your wound ONLY your salayvia will work. Mine will not work on your blood. Hugs and keep the bandages handy.

My daughters were in a dance recital each year. Moms had to make the costumes. My girls NEVER had a costume without at least one drop of blood on it.

Sounds like Murphy's Law was at work

So sorry!!!!!!

Power Poster
    Quilting does have it's dangers. I have had the sewing machine needle through the finger, minor rotary cutting accidents(didn't need stitches) an the occasional found the the pin I dropped on the floor with my foot and numerous pin and hand needle stabs. I count myself lucky that none of my accidents have involved a visit to the hospital.

Blog Entries
    maybe some Kevlar gloves?
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I have been told that a drop of blood proves a quilt is hand-made! Hydrogen peroxide will remove blood from fabric.

That sounds like the keystone cops type of thing that usually happens to me too! Hopefully you got all that out of your system and will be injury free now.

Ouch! But it is true that if you use your saliva to rub on the blood stain, it will come out. This I learned from an applique class recently.

Ouch! I always say it's not a real quilt until it has either blood or coffee spilled on it. The best ones have both!
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    My daughters were in a dance recital each year. Moms had to make the costumes. My girls NEVER had a costume without at least one drop of blood on it.
    Now that my mom is quilting, it happens sometimes there too. I had to laugh last night, though, because I did the same thing. I was using new pins that are longer than I'm used to and kept sticking myself.
    Tammy

Blog Entries
    I poked the bobbin holder pin[from my longarm] about 2 in. long, into my forearm and had to go to ER and get it glued back together. Healed up just fine. A few months ago. I stumble around a little.LOL

Yes, hydrogen peroxide will remove blood from fabric. It often removes the colour as well. Ask me how I know!! At least the offending (or should that be offended?) block was near the edge and it took a mere 2 hours to replace a 1 1/2x1 1/2" square.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    Don't you love those days! Sometimes you wonder if it was worth getting up. I end up giving up, go sit a long while and regroup, hoping that little klutz devil is gone!

Tammy, LOL

Was crawling around on the floor just last night repining my latest nightmare....got up and noticed a big blob of blood on the edge...had stuck my knee and didn't even know it...thank goodness it was on the white and hadn't soaked through the batting because peroxide took it right out. It's not a good quilt without a little dna as an identifier....

What phase is the moon in? Last night, stopped quilting and started preparing dinner, trying to cut open the shrink wrap around a whole chicken, stuck a paring knife into the plastic....wouldn't cut easily....jabbed the knife into the plastic, went through the plastic and right into my left forearm. Washed with antibacterial soap, then Neosporin.......looked down and blood was still running. Applied pressure......could not go back to quitting.....had blood all over my shirt..was afraid I would get some on the quilt. This AM, arm swollen.....still might have to go to doctor...when was that last tetanus shot?

Another day.
    D in TX

Welcome to my world. Lol. Sprained my knee bad last week and broke my pinky toe on the other foot yesterday. Hubby is going to start putting me in bubble wrap.

I feel your pain!

The only time I have ever cut myself with my rotary cutter was in a quilting class right after the lecture on rotary cutter safety! I was more concerned about not getting blood on my quilt blocks!

Lady Diana - please call your doctor's office and tell them that the knife went through raw chicken then into your arm! Remember all the lectures on washing everything touching raw meat? You might get a very serious infection.

Been there, keep bandaids in the notions kit by my sewing machine and long arm.
    Jeanie

I do the same thing all the time too!!! lol

Blog Entries
    You could have salmonella or E Coli. Remember J Miller? He had E Coli didn't know how he got it--take no chances especially with it going thru the chicken and then you. Get another tetanus shot to be on the safe side. I live on farm and butcher chickens-- I had to have stitches on finger one time and the next day had blood poisoning. Had to go back to DR again to have that taken care of. Raw meat is deadly if when injured, you don't take care of it.

After not understanding how anyone could put the sewing machine needle through the finger I did it today while repositioning the wall hanging I am doing FMQ on. I did not realize I had so much blood in me. Left a pressure dressing on for several hours then decided to change it and it starts bleeding agfain. I can still sew bkut it makes typing difficult. Hope evceryone heal from their injuries. Quilting and sewing are a dangerous hobby but I love it.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast