Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange?? >

In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange??

In quite a tizzy here! Purple & Orange??

Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Here's one I did. The pattern is Lucky Stars by Atkinson Designs. Very easy pattern!
Katier825 - beautiful quilt!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 AM

A log cabin would also work very nice with those colors. Then you could choose any layout (zigzag, barn raising, etc.) that appeals to you.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 AM

I would definately ask the customer more questions?

I would find out the purpose of the quilt? Does it have to any thing to do with school colors, etc? I would come up with several different patterns that you could easily get done and ask her which one she prefers. I would even have her help to select the fabric.

Purple and orange...I too was thinking fall leaves colors. There are great batiks that work well for this. I was also in agreement with someone who mentioned the Day and Night pattern. There are several pictures of others who have made this quilt pattern that are posted.

If you're like me the decision process is always the hardest as I start and plan a project. The reason is that I like too many different colors and patterns.

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures with your progress.

Pam M
Old 03-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Have you talked to the person about using softer colors--lavendar and peach maybe? Still in the purple/orange family but easier on the eye--in my opinion anyway!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 AM

I too was caught up in a simmilar delemma. I asked my just engaged niece what her & her fiance's favorite colors are(expecting 1 from each) & instead got 2 colors from each person! So I am now in the process of making a blue, orange, red, and purple quilt! NOT colors I would have ever put together on my own! I decided to go with one of Ditter's QAYG strip quilts with a black cener down each block diagonally. It is turning out beautifully. Quite bold but I chose to use very saturated versions of each color with other variations along side. I'm at work right now or I'd post a pic. Maybe I can post one after I get home to show you.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Here's one I did. The pattern is Lucky Stars by Atkinson Designs. Very easy pattern!
I love this quilt!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:49 PM

these are perfect Clemson University colors. YEA!!! go Tigers LOL
Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Renee110
my grandmothers quilt is purple and orange and I love it! Those colors are fabulous together! Here is a pic of her quilt...
Oh! I just love that! She had a great sense of color! If she is still alive, tell her I said so.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by adyldrop
i like the idea of shades with batiks....there are some beautiful "blender" looking batiks in all colors. I'd say to look into that. With a kona cotton white...Mmmmmm sunset....
Ditto!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Wow, shades of purple and orange would make a beautiful bargello quilt if you ran colors kind of diagonally from light purples to dark then, somewhere around mid way across the quilt top, begin with the shades of orange and go to the opposite corner. Maybe some of the Jo Morton cinnamons would work in with the orange colors. Or maybe just do a sampler and use bleached muslin for the 'white' areas.
Katier825 has a pretty Lucky Stars quilt idea, too.
Maybe if you think 'shades' of purple and 'shades' of orange and the colors won't sound so wild. Good luck whatever you choose. Please, post a photo when it is finished.