Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Qulting on regular sewing machine >

Qulting on regular sewing machine

Qulting on regular sewing machine

Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 PM

I actually like straight-line quilting, both the finished look and the process. For me, it's easier than FMQ. I have two vintage sewing machines, a Singer 15-91 from 1951 and a Bernina 830 Record. I bought walking feet for both. I actually like to use the Singer for most things because the walking foot for an old straight stitch machine is less bulky since the feed dogs aren't as wide. I think it can be tricky to find one for older machines that works, but Jenny at sew-classic.com usually has a brand that fits most old machines. I just quilted two baby quilts with a walking foot, one on each machine. One had closely spaced wavy, current-like lines and the other had parallel straight lines 1/2" apart.

Last edited by elizajo; 07-27-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 AM

if the feed dogs won't drop she can get the easy glider???? I think that's what it's called. It's for machines that can't drop the feed dogs. I machine quilt on my sewing machine and the throat is normal size. Just gotta be patient.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:38 AM

I have a regular sewing machine.. nothing special. And have straight-lined machine quilted most everything I've made with good results. Totally agree with everyone else, have her try something small to see how it works.

The main thing is she needs to have fun and enjoy the process.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 AM

I agree to try getting the right foot for it as opposed to buying a new machine. Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:41 AM

I am using my mothers White machine that was purchased in the 60's...also have a Bernette Bernina and a Brother (Brother is used for embroidery only)....I do my quilting on the BB as I am not sure what the Whites limitations are ...my 1st quilt on a machine was a king size quilt (done on the BB) I am considering purchasing a darning foot for the White , cover the feed dogs and trying some FMQ on the old girl...and I am a beginner at all this, the sky is the limit...good luck in whatever she decides to do.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
She needs to make sure she can drop the feed dogs on that machine and if she can the she needs a free motion foot.
I quilt on a vintage Featherweight. The feed dogs do not drop. Simply set your stitch length to zero and it works just fine. Also, reduce the pressure on the foot. So older machines are just great for quilting! She will want a darning foot for FMQ. Some people use a walking foot, but I never do, even though I have them. A SID foot works fine for straight stitching.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 AM

IU, too quilt on a 401A with no problems. Get a pair of gardening gloves with the rubberized dots on them or purchase a set of Office Fingers from Michaels. These are heavy-duty fingertipe what will grip your fabric. Use tables or ironing boards to support your quilt while you quilt.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 AM

Check out Leah Days site; she teaches quilting on a reqular machine. I'm not sure how long she'll be doing it though; I've heard she's getting ready to teach for Craftsy.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 AM

A darning foot (I even have one for my old 1920's singer...came with)...if the feed dogs don't drop...use a piece of plastic cut to size from a plastic lid, or use a regular playing card...tape it over the feed dogs)...and you can use most any machine to free motion quilt...it does take practice.

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
My DD has a Singer that belonged to my DH's mother. It runs like a top but she is needing to start doing her own quilting (cost keeps going up for a LA). She is debating about buying a new machine or getting "feet" for this one. What feet would she need and would she be better off going this way rather than buying a new machine (can't believe how much a new machine costs).
Old 07-29-2012, 03:44 PM

Right now there's an on line course at Craftsy.com on quilting (FMQ) a larger quilt on a home machine. I bring it up because it shows you how to do the quilt in pieces and then put it all together. It really isn't as difficult as you might imagine, and I'm using it all the time now because I've done my last King Size under a 7" harp! Not that it can't be done, but you ladies all know what I'm talking about! A King size is so much easier when quilted in 4 pieces, and then zipped together. It's awesome! Check it out! Plus she has other techniques if you don't want to quilt in pieces. Very​ helpful. Highly recommend. And there's no reason the techniques wouldn't work on an older Singer either.