Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Race Quilt

Race Quilt

I have just started my first race quilt. What an adventure!!!! No one said to be sure you have a definite back and front! I re-did a whole bunch of them strips!!! now I am finally putting 8 strips together. Question... I have 40 strips, 42" long. How big will the top be if I make it as square as I can? I am so lousy at the math! Thanks

Sorry....I was trying to help and my calculator is acting up...
    Last edited by momto5; 08-04-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

If you're following the instructions for the original jelly roll 1600 race quilt (40 2.5" strips, each with 40" usable finished length), your quilt will come out at about 48x64. With the original instructions (making one long strip, sewing together and cutting at the midpoint, repeat...) You can't make it more square unless you change the number of strips.

You could add a border to the sides then another border all the way around for the size you want.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Thanks Dunstar. And I plan to put 2 borders on it Susie. Thanks