Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag die for Accuquilt Studio vs. Go! >

Rag die for Accuquilt Studio vs. Go!

Rag die for Accuquilt Studio vs. Go!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:53 AM

Default Rag die for Accuquilt Studio vs. Go!

I have an Accquilt Studio, and I'm interested in the rag die. I have an adapter piece so I can use Go! dies as well.

I'm thinking of buying the Go! die because it's so much cheaper than the Studio die. I know I can't cut as many layers at a time, but I don't think that's a deal breaker. I don't make that many rag quilts, and my time is my own, so if it takes me longer to cut the squares, that doesn't seem like a big deal.

Do any of you who use this die and these systems have any opinions on this? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 AM

I have the Studio and rag die and my opinion is to use Studio dies with your cutter. To cut all those layers of flannel, the Studio die would be a much better choice. The purpose of these cutters is to save time and if you're taking twice the passes and twice the time to set the fabric up for cutting, I don't see a benefit there. Wait for a 40% off sale at Accuquilt and get the die that's made for your machine.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I have the Go and cut four layers of rag cotton squares at a time. I cut 2 layers of flannel. The studio probably will cut more layers using the Go die, aren't the blades the same in the studio and the Go dies?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Right, the dies are essentially the same, I believe, except the Studio dies are deeper and cut more layers, I guess. The Go die is about $35.00 on sale and the Studio die is $104 on sale at the moment. Even at 40% off, it's $78, which is twice the price of the Go die. The Studio dies seem harder to find, but the Go dies are available lots of places, it seems.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Right, the dies are essentially the same, I believe, except the Studio dies are deeper and cut more layers, I guess. The Go die is about $35.00 on sale and the Studio die is $104 on sale at the moment. Even at 40% off, it's $78, which is twice the price of the Go die. The Studio dies seem harder to find, but the Go dies are available lots of places, it seems.
Studio dies are only available from Accuquilt. The dies are different. The blades are a different length. The Studio dies are industrial in quality and design and the Go dies aren't. The Studio dies also have a different warranty. I can put 8-10 layers of flannel through on my Studio Rag die with no problems. If you tried that on the Go, it would break. You have to decide what is more important to you.

Last edited by Candace; 10-11-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:50 PM

I got couple of custom dies made through a store on ebay. The guy is in California too.
Here is his store on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-circles-wo...item1c35308c46
Old 10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Question for those who have either version of the rag die: Do you use paper between your fabric and the die blade to prevent threads from getting caught in the die?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Question for those who have either version of the rag die: Do you use paper between your fabric and the die blade to prevent threads from getting caught in the die?
That would be good to know, as several of the reviews I've read on this die say cleaning out the threads can get to be worky.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 AM

I have the Go-Baby and made a denim rag quilt. I used old jeans so I was being selective of what to cut. I think I cut 2 layers at a time of flannel for the back. I was satisfied. Might depend on how often you plan on making a rag quilt. I just didn't want to use scissors.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 PM

I got my Studio rag die and the block for the batting as a set, on sale. I think I paid about $90 for both pieces, but to me it was worth it!