Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag lap quilt advice >

Rag lap quilt advice

Rag lap quilt advice

Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 AM

I live in Florida and do not want a real heavy rag quilt. I have made quite a few and all of them I make without the batting I just do the front and back layer of flannel....I do not put in a middle layer. They turn out great.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM

The quilt I keep on my chair for everyday use is made from four layers of homespun and other cottons that fray fairly well. No flannel or batting. I wanted it to be light and cool so that I could use it yearround, and it turned out perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74189.jpe  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 AM

I don't put batting in my rag quilts and they are just great. Most of them have old jeans on the back so they are quite heavy and warm, but 2 layers of flannel work just great. I do usually use my triple stitch or a short stitch and double seam , just in case.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:08 AM

I have all my flannel set aside for one of these. I think I'll do 2 layers of flannel. I bet I have enough for 2 or 3 lap size quilts. I went a little nuts buying flannel one winter.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by BABAREEBA
I live in Florida and do not want a real heavy rag quilt. I have made quite a few and all of them I make without the batting I just do the front and back layer of flannel....I do not put in a middle layer. They turn out great.
Thanks, that is what I thought. Flannel is not cheap and I so do not want to put multiple layers when it is not needed.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 PM

When I make a fannel rag quilt I used one layer for top and one layer for bottom, total of two layers. Nice and warm not heavy.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 PM

I made a rag quilt for my great nephew in San Antonio. Just 2 layers of flannel, no batting. He loves it so much, he has to have it wherever he goes.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM

I always use flannel. They are very comfortable year round. I sleep under one every night!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:27 AM

I have another questions about how you sew your rag quilts. I am almost finished with this one. I decided to keep and give to her at christmas. But my question is this:
When you sew the rows together at the seam intersections do you open the seam allowance or do you lay to the side? What is the best way? I layed mine to the side on this one. I have opened the seam allowance on another one that I made. Just wondering.
Charlene
Old 08-14-2010, 04:37 AM

Charlene, i have made a "few "rag quilts, and it depends on how warm you need them to be. i live in Texas snd in my part of Texas we don't need alot of warmth,alot of time. so i just use 2 pieces of flannel, turns out beautiful and just the right amount of weight. my daughter & family are in England, and i made thiers with flannel and fleece, just right for them. with thier quilts i opened up the seams,since the material was so thick. i don't think it really matters if you open or leave together the seams.hope this helps... molly