Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rag quilt scissors?

Has anyone heard of such a thing? I read where someone refered to such but I haven't ever heard of them? Have you? I wonder if they are useing applique' scissors (I know my spelling probably isn't right but I don't want to look it up). :(

DebJ - Yes and I highly recommend them. You use them to snip the seams so when you wash the quilt it will ravel and give it that raggy look. The scissors are spring loaded ( I think that's what you call it ), so your hand doesn't get tired from doing all that snipping. I have done a couple of rag quilts - the first with regular scissors, the last one with the rag scissors. What a difference :!: :!: :!: Did the quilt inabout half the time too. Hope this helps. :roll:

I did my first rag quilt with regular scissors and boy did my hands hurt and it too forever. Then someone on her recommended the rag quilt scissors. I got mine at Joann's with a 50% off coupon only ended up paying about $9 for them Fiskars brand. That was the best investment I could have made. I would not make another rag quilt without them.

I would definitely recommend paying the price and getting the scissors, they are worth the price. This is what they look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I highly recommend the Fiskars brand. I have those and also some pretty pink handled ones called Spring-Cut. After clipping 2 quilts the Spring-Cut scissors no longer clip all the way to the point. The Fiskars have been used on at least 5 quilts and they still clip all the way to the point. they definitely cost more but I'm glad I have them.
    Mindy

Oh, DebJ, I really highly recommend the Fiskars spring scissors. I have arthritis and they allowed me to work at my own pace with no pain from cutting. I love them, I paid full price of $15.98, but have already used them that much $ worth.

Hugs,
    Sharon

me too, sharon. i have more than gotten my moneys worth. am getting ready to make 2 more rags for xmas and i will be able to clip, clip, clip without the hassle and pain of using scissors. :wink:

I highly recommend a fiskars scissors sharpener........I have dollar store clippers and fiskars keeps them working . Its under 10 dollars. and works great :D

Debj
    I heard that spring loaded scissors are the best to use when making rag quilts you can see a picture of someone cutting the seams for a rag quilt here ...........
    http://quilting.about.com/od/ragquiltpatterns/ss/rag_quilt_basic_3.htm

Pepper

are they available in ontario, canada

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurvey
    I would definitely recommend paying the price and getting the scissors, they are worth the price. This is what they look like.
    I'm thinking huhhhhhhhhhhhh????? Til I saw the picture. I've seen them used on my quilt shows....

Yes, definitely get them. I made quite a few rag quilts and raggedy purses before I found them and now that I have them, I have no idea why I tried to make them without them they are such a relief on my tired hands.

Banned
    cool... never heard of them :)

I have a pair of the Fiskars brand. They aren't quite like the ones pictured above, but very similar. They are very sharp and very pointy, so do be careful if you get a pair. I LOVE mine! I got mine on sale under $10.00 at Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by fraz
    are they available in ontario, canada
    I'm sure they are. If not, check out eBay.

I have pair and they aren't spring loaded, but are great. They are at least five years old. They have large handles and short things that cut. Blades might be the correct word :) The blades aren't regular blades they almost have little serrated blades and work fantastic and don't dull. Wish they were spring loaded. Either way well worth the price especially if you are gonna do multiple rag quilts or larger ones.

yes there are rag quilt scissors. I use them alot,because i make alot of rag quilts :lol: Just go to google and type in rag scissors and u will beable to buy them. They make clipping the rag quilts so much easier. Marilyn

I had never heard of them before, but they do make sense . I need to get some of them. Thanks.

CRH
    I used electric scissors for my rag quilts (flannel). I think they are Black and Decker brand. Wouldn't do the rag quilt any other way now.

Suz
    I used my Cutco kitchen scissors. The serrated edge helped.