Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilts and babies >

Rag Quilts and babies

Rag Quilts and babies

Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Okay, I'm the odd man (or woman) out here... I've done hundreds of baby quilts through the years and tied them all. I've also done rag quilts for my own kids, grandkids and my nieces, nephews, and great nieces and nephews. They have been used on a daily basis for years and no problems have occurred. I use yarn and tie the knot 3 times. The rag quilts are washed a couple of times before giving them away. So while I understand the concern over babies putting things in their mouth, I'd hate for any of us to get a huge 'guilt' over doing something wrong.
There are the very expensive blankets for babies in the speciality stores that are very fuzzy and fluffy that could cause alot more problems.
Just my thoughts on the whole matter....
Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 PM

thanks.. I am about to make a rag quilt for my baby but was totally unaware of this.. :oops: thanks!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:01 AM

Mine seem to only shed in the washer. The local craft fairs sell a lot of them for babies. Has any one heard of an actual death or severe chocking
Old 12-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Knot Sew
Mine seem to only shed in the washer. The local craft fairs sell a lot of them for babies. Has any one heard of an actual death or severe chocking
Why would you even risk it................... Babies and little things do not go together.
I also hate ribbons on baby jackets.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cathy M
Okay, I'm the odd man (or woman) out here... I've done hundreds of baby quilts through the years and tied them all. I've also done rag quilts for my own kids, grandkids and my nieces, nephews, and great nieces and nephews. They have been used on a daily basis for years and no problems have occurred. I use yarn and tie the knot 3 times. The rag quilts are washed a couple of times before giving them away. So while I understand the concern over babies putting things in their mouth, I'd hate for any of us to get a huge 'guilt' over doing something wrong.
There are the very expensive blankets for babies in the speciality stores that are very fuzzy and fluffy that could cause alot more problems.
Just my thoughts on the whole matter....
agree!! been making them for years. never had anyone say they had a problem with a rag quilt or one thats tied. have no intention of NOT making more.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 PM

I have been making tied quilts with pearl cotton for many years... triple knotted...no problems at all! As a former Nanny, and current grandmother, I do agree about fluffy blankets and stuffed animals! (~.~) Ellen