Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rail Fence Block looks bad, how can I change it

My husband saw the quilt block first. I mentioned the swastica, and he could see that, but his very first resopnse was "nice" and said he would never associate the two especially after other blocks are added to it. I personally love the colors and fabric choices. Nice job!

Blog Entries

Once you see the swastika pattern you'll never look at the quilt in a good way so it would be better to change it now.

Take your block apart so you have four rail fence blocks. Add a solid square. Rail fence, square block, rail fence square block..... It will become a whole different pattern. Or take apart and rearrange the four rail fence blocks.

I would use some neutral tone -on-tone to "tame down" the colors. I like the color selection on those few blocks, but I would replace 1 in each block with neutrals.
    I would be interested in how this works for you. I am
    [email protected]

I made that block just once. I did not like what it looked like either.

I made this block as a part of a sampler (called a "triple rail" in my pattern). Indeed, mine looks like a swastika. I noticed it right away. I'm not sure there is an answer to this problem except to simply stop making the block. But in my mind it's no different from turning regular speech into dirty speech the way a lot of people do when they think they're being funny. When someone does that, I always tell them to keep their mind out of the gutter. I think the same is true if someone sees a swastika in this block. It's not a swastika. The block contains much more than that.

No, that is NOT a swastika! wrong directions, and besides, long before the Nazi's adopted the 'swastika' design it was a quilt block design by another name but I don't know it without researching it.

Once you have more blocks made and have a chance to place it on your design wall or floor, you can get different overall designs. Have fun with it, I am sure you will really like it when it is all put together

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Will someone PLEASE show me how this block is a swastika? I can show you how its NOT, but I honestly can not twist and turn this block to get one out of it, if the block on the right was put on the left and switched around then MAYBE!!!!!! But as it is sewn right now, ITS NOT!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...i483/block.jpg

I would honestly like to see it because I have a blanket for my son (put up) that will be going to school (nap time) with him next year made out of this pattern and if it has a swastika in it ANYWHERE I am not sending it!

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    Will someone PLEASE show me how this block is a swastika? I can show you how its NOT, but I honestly can not twist and turn this block to get one out of it, if the block on the right was put on the left and switched around then MAYBE!!!!!! But as it is sewn right now, ITS NOT!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...i483/block.jpg

I would honestly like to see it because I have a blanket for my son (put up) that will be going to school (nap time) with him next year made out of this pattern and if it has a swastika in it ANYWHERE I am not sending it!
    I'm still looking for the swastika too. I just don't see it.
    The blocks are great.

I think SharonC has a real good idea. :D

here is my rail fence. It looks more like a hounds tooth when put together. I do have four stripes in mine though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

joy
    I have just had a look at a photo of the railfence quilt I made and you just need to finish the quilt like you have started.... what the pattern looks like now won't look like that when you have finished.... what a shame he mentioned it... it never entered my head that that is what it looked like.... finish it and you will be so pleased..... I am about to make another one for a community quilt.... it is nice and easy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bstanbro
    But in my mind it's no different from turning regular speech into dirty speech the way a lot of people do when they think they're being funny. When someone does that, I always tell them to keep their mind out of the gutter. I think the same is true if someone sees a swastika in this block. It's not a swastika. The block contains much more than that.
    Normally I would totally agree, and add that with proper use, the symbolism could be changed back to it's original purpose or simply ignored.... but I think the swastika is an exception. What it represents is so horrific it exceeds the bounds of normal misinterpretation. No matter how good its meaning was originally, in modern times it represents hate and a lot of really bad stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    here is my rail fence. It looks more like a hounds tooth when put together. I do have four stripes in mine though.
    That looks awesome!

With other blocks made exactly the same as the one in this thread, I imagine the swastika effect *would* be lost.

Blog Entries
    being Jewish, i'm understandably sensitive to swastikas.

your blocks are pretty florals. very definitely not nazi-like at all.

you can't be held responsible if people insist on seeing what isn't there.

your quilt is NOT offensive.

now ... if you start drawing little moustaches on them ... we might have an issue. :lol:

relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    being Jewish, i'm understandably sensitive to swastikas.

your blocks are pretty florals. very definitely not nazi-like at all.

you can't be held responsible if people insist on seeing what isn't there.

your quilt is NOT offensive.

now ... if you start drawing little moustaches on them ... we might have an issue. :lol:

relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax :wink:
    I agree.

I Googled swastika & the arms are turned different than yours. My suggestion is to make a few more blocks & see what they look like altogether. I like your block & hate for you to cut it up or have all that ripping.

No you didn't. to make one you would have had to had and L out of the same fabric in each block that met in the middle rotating like a pinwheel. This block is great the way it is and when you get more of them together you will see a very pretty zig zag in your pattern.

Blog Entries
    I come from Germany and I don't see one either. Assuming that you will make more of these blocks, as you assemble them in the same order, the stair-stepping effect of the rail fence will show up more strongly. You are judging your work too early. Keep going and all will be well.

Blog Entries
    Funny you should mention the swastika. My youngest son is looking at houses and one of them had a quilt on the wall of all different blocks. I pointed to the one that looked just like a swastika. Then we looked at this house and I pointed out to the realtor what it looked like. She said she would definately tell the owners not to show the quilt as it was while trying to sell the house. I think it was innocent and yet it stuck out like a sore thumb!!

Sorry, the Swastika just screams out at me too. I think it's because it's a single block. If you had a quilt of many of these blocks you would seen an overall pattern and the swastika thing would be less obvious. I like the suggestion to pick apart the four separate sections and play with them til you like the look.
    Penny

I think you will see a totally diffrent quilt when it is done. Some free motion on it and it will all look beautiful!

when you add additional blocks the visual will look more like steps than a swastika....

i'm jewish.

when this quilt is done you'll find that the floral and the green both form stair-steps, not swastikas. the lilac will be a free-floating shape separating the other two.

it's kind of you to be sensitive, but in this case, go for it.

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions and honest opinions. I have completed just 5 blocks for this quilt - and every block will be different. The blocks will have a purple latice work around them with green cornerstones. Just to put it in perspective I put the 5 blocks on the purple fabric and this is what it looks like:
    [IMG]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...g/100_4225.jpg[/IMG]

The final quilt will be 8 inch blocks, 7 blocks by 7 blocks. It will have a lattice and cornerstones, and a 6 inch wide floral border. The finished quilt size will be 80 1/2 inches by 80 1/2 inches.

My DH is telling me just to get over it - this is still a 'novice quilt' so just live with the mistakes - it will make a great story someday (I think he is tired of me bemoaning of what to do with this block).

Laurie Jane,
    IF you need any of the patterns from the quilt Shop Hop let me know which you have and I can send you the rest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast