Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rail fence question... >

Rail fence question...

Rail fence question...

Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 AM

Can anyone tell me if there is a pattern for rail fence quilt using only 2 fabrics? I can find ones with 3 or more but not 2. Is it even possible to make one like that?

I have two quilts I'm wanting to do for my boys for christmas but only bought 2 coordinating fabrics.

I hope I'm making sense.

TIA!

~Dorothy
Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 AM

You'll need at least 3 fabrics or it won't be a "rail fence" design.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 AM

Well, you can do them any way you like; we all fired the quilt police here on the board. But the fun of rail fence, I think is seeing all the colors contrasting and mingling. I have made quite a few rail fence in my own way, maybe not the accepted way, but....where are those police again?!?!?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM

It is possible to use the two fabrics. When preparing the strips sets I would make one of the fabrics wider than the other , to give a bit more visual interest.
The fence rail pattern is one of the simplest patterns to adapt.
all you need to do is fugure out the size of the block you want to work with. An easy way to do it is measure the finished strip set in the width, and cut the strip sets the same measurement. So if you have two fabrics to get to a 6 inch unfinshed block one fabric cut would be 3 1/4 wide and the other would be 3- 1/4wide. This strip set would be 6 inches ( and the blocks cut from the strip sets would be 6 inches ( for a 5 1/2inch finished).

You can make any combination of widths of the strips work, you just have to cut the blocks from the joined strip set that same width to make the square.
The "rail" in the block is fabric that "connects" to the same fabric, by repositioning the block so the "rail" fabric is vertical , then in the next it is horizontal,repeating these same positions across the row. The next row would start with with the opposite of the first row . So if you started the first row with a horizontal , the second row should start with a verical block.
I added a sketch of what it would look like
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-91044.pdf (453.3 KB, 151 views)
Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
It is possible to use the two fabrics. When preparing the strips sets I would make one of the fabrics wider than the other , to give a bit more visual interest.
The fence rail pattern is one of the simplest patterns to adapt.
all you need to do is fugure out the size of the block you want to work with. An easy way to do it is measure the finished strip set in the width, and cut the strip sets the same measurement. So if you have two fabrics to get to a 6 inch unfinshed block one fabric cut would be 3 1/4 wide and the other would be 3- 1/4wide. This strip set would be 6 inches ( and the blocks cut from the strip sets would be 6 inches ( for a 5 1/2inch finished).
You can make any combination of widths of the strips work, you just have to cut the blocks from the joined strip set that width to make the square.

Correct, but this block wouldn't be a rail fence;>
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks everybody! I was trying to resist temptation and not buy more fabric, however, I think I'm just going to have give in :-D
Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Thanks everybody! I was trying to resist temptation and not buy more fabric, however, I think I'm just going to have give in :-D
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM

This is a sketch of what a two fabric would look like
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-91046.pdf (453.3 KB, 135 views)
Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned

You can do it with two fabrics; just watch your placement before you sew rows so the streak shows -
Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Wow, double post from me....that'll teach me to try responding from my phone at work....lol

Thank you all for your help.