Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • raq quilt question >
  • raq quilt question

• raq quilt question

Old 02-22-2011, 10:14 AM
    Power Poster

i would guess they don't like the white showing in the cut seams....
    Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM

I've found that the white backed flannels are a bit stiffer and don't fray or "rag-up" as much as the others.
    Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM

I've been doing raggy quilts for a while; never heard of not being able to use white. Of course, none of my backs have had white on them. I mostly use white as the inner layer; again, never had a problem.
    I feel the same way as others; I will do what I want on my quilts.
    If there is a problem because of "bleeding", then all the fabrics could be washed first.
    Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 AM

They don't want you using a white back because the white back will show on the front. You could use a white background if the flannel itself was a light color. Since you're a male, I'm guessing you're going to be using darker colors in which case you wouldn't want that white showing and there's no way around that. You really won't like that white coming through the front of a dark quilt. It will be extremely distracting from the overall look. You can use cotton on one side and spend the extra money on a better flannel... Use cotton on one side, flannel on the other all the time for these and it's just fine. Where are you looking for your flannel that they only have the one with the white background?
    Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Knew I would get an answer here and waving back to Julie. We do have a Joann's in town and will be heading there this week. We wanted to homepun and flannel for class but they said that would be difficult for a first time quilt. What combos of fabric did you use as didnt know that there were other options.

Jeff
    Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM

yes it is a class at local LQS that sells flannel but we had to buy non white backed flannels but we have been searching for cheaper fabric to make more as gifts and also to embroider on.
    Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
    They don't want you using a white back because the white back will show on the front. You could use a white background if the flannel itself was a light color. Since you're a male, I'm guessing you're going to be using darker colors in which case you wouldn't want that white showing and there's no way around that. You really won't like that white coming through the front of a dark quilt. It will be extremely distracting from the overall look. You can use cotton on one side and spend the extra money on a better flannel... Use cotton on one side, flannel on the other all the time for these and it's just fine. Where are you looking for your flannel that they only have the one with the white background?
    We looked at Ben Franklins and hancocks as we were looking to do a child's rag quilt and Hancocks all there blizard flannels had a white back that were on sale. Thanks for explaining this. I love nice bright colors so was always let down but now have a game plan.

Jeff
    Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 PM

I have made many, many flannel rag quilts using white backed flannel. Worked just fine in my opinion. Have fun. It is a great way to get started.