Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: Re:magazine for beginner????

  1. #26
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,228
    I subscibe to a half dozen quilt mags. I have never made a quilt from one yet but love to look thru them.
    El Burns is going to publish a mag. coming out in April.
    Her patterns are the easiest of all.
    Do you watch Quilterstv? It is free and I find that watching a video is alot of help. You can buy a membership to QNN also. Its about $24 a yr and worth it for beginners. They have all the best teachers and especially El Burns. I have learned so much by watching videos but still have to do alot of practiceing to get good at quilting.
    Quilterstv is a web site by the way. Be sure and watch Billi Lauder, she does some really simple shortcuts.

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I subscibe to a half dozen quilt mags. I have never made a quilt from one yet but love to look thru them.
    El Burns is going to publish a mag. coming out in April.
    Her patterns are the easiest of all.
    Do you watch Quilterstv? It is free and I find that watching a video is alot of help. You can buy a membership to QNN also. Its about $24 a yr and worth it for beginners. They have all the best teachers and especially El Burns. I have learned so much by watching videos but still have to do alot of practiceing to get good at quilting.
    Quilterstv is a web site by the way. Be sure and watch Billi Lauder, she does some really simple shortcuts.
    I agree. EB is great! I've completed a log cabin and irish chain and working on URR from her books. They are fast and easy. She has step by step pictures and instructions. I plan on subscribing to her mag too!

    I've watched Billie on QuiltersTV and used some of her short-cuts. I'd like to get a couple of her books too.

  3. #28
    Power Poster dreamer2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    WHERE THE SUN ALWAYS SHINES
    Posts
    10,097
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by shellyp
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I subscibe to a half dozen quilt mags. I have never made a quilt from one yet but love to look thru them.
    El Burns is going to publish a mag. coming out in April.
    Her patterns are the easiest of all.
    Do you watch Quilterstv? It is free and I find that watching a video is alot of help. You can buy a membership to QNN also. Its about $24 a yr and worth it for beginners. They have all the best teachers and especially El Burns. I have learned so much by watching videos but still have to do alot of practiceing to get good at quilting.
    Quilterstv is a web site by the way. Be sure and watch Billi Lauder, she does some really simple shortcuts.
    I agree. EB is great! I've completed a log cabin and irish chain and working on URR from her books. They are fast and easy. She has step by step pictures and instructions. I plan on subscribing to her mag too!

    I've watched Billie on QuiltersTV and used some of her short-cuts. I'd like to get a couple of her books too.
    Hey Shelly,I just bought
    EB's book "el"EMENTARY...I LOVE IT"S SIMPLICITY.

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shellyp
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I subscibe to a half dozen quilt mags. I have never made a quilt from one yet but love to look thru them.
    El Burns is going to publish a mag. coming out in April.
    Her patterns are the easiest of all.
    Do you watch Quilterstv? It is free and I find that watching a video is alot of help. You can buy a membership to QNN also. Its about $24 a yr and worth it for beginners. They have all the best teachers and especially El Burns. I have learned so much by watching videos but still have to do alot of practiceing to get good at quilting.
    Quilterstv is a web site by the way. Be sure and watch Billi Lauder, she does some really simple shortcuts.
    I agree. EB is great! I've completed a log cabin and irish chain and working on URR from her books. They are fast and easy. She has step by step pictures and instructions. I plan on subscribing to her mag too!

    I've watched Billie on QuiltersTV and used some of her short-cuts. I'd like to get a couple of her books too.
    Hey Shelly,I just bought
    EB's book "el"EMENTARY...I LOVE IT"S SIMPLICITY.
    I think that one is the next on my 'to buy' list. I also have her 'Still Stripping' book but haven't done any out of there. I can really see why she has a big following.

  5. #30
    Power Poster dreamer2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    WHERE THE SUN ALWAYS SHINES
    Posts
    10,097
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by shellyp
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shellyp
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I subscibe to a half dozen quilt mags. I have never made a quilt from one yet but love to look thru them.
    El Burns is going to publish a mag. coming out in April.
    Her patterns are the easiest of all.
    Do you watch Quilterstv? It is free and I find that watching a video is alot of help. You can buy a membership to QNN also. Its about $24 a yr and worth it for beginners. They have all the best teachers and especially El Burns. I have learned so much by watching videos but still have to do alot of practiceing to get good at quilting.
    Quilterstv is a web site by the way. Be sure and watch Billi Lauder, she does some really simple shortcuts.
    I agree. EB is great! I've completed a log cabin and irish chain and working on URR from her books. They are fast and easy. She has step by step pictures and instructions. I plan on subscribing to her mag too!

    I've watched Billie on QuiltersTV and used some of her short-cuts. I'd like to get a couple of her books too.
    Hey Shelly,I just bought
    EB's book "el"EMENTARY...I LOVE IT"S SIMPLICITY.
    I think that one is the next on my 'to buy' list. I also have her 'Still Stripping' book but haven't done any out of there. I can really see why she has a big following.
    She really has the ability of reaching out to people like me that have brain injuries.That's what amazes me the most.I'm sure that her being a teacher has the biggest impact of all.I think it would have been wonderful to have her as a teacher growing up.

  6. #31
    Senior Member LoriJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    706
    Bev, I've subscribed to Quiltmaker since I started quilting, I really like it. I've also had McCall's which I like also.

  7. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriJ
    Bev, I've subscribed to Quiltmaker since I started quilting, I really like it. I've also had McCall's which I like also.
    Do they have really easy to understand instructions?

  8. #33
    Senior Member LoriJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    706
    I thought they were pretty easy. They have lots of pictures of the steps too so you can see how it's supposed to go.

  9. #34
    Power Poster sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,406
    Blog Entries
    10
    Bev,I have a current subscription to McCalls Quick Quilts and they just sent me an email that if I renew now I can send a one year as a gift. Would you be interested in this ? Just pm me your name and address if you are interested. I am sure its just a way for them to reach more quilters and hope that after the free year you will want to continue on your own.
    Sharon

  10. #35

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    145
    my favorite quilting mag is "Quiltmaker" I recommend this mag to all of my beginning quilters, just because of the way it is laid out and the wonderful instructions
    Hope this helps Froggy

  11. #36
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,717
    I have a few hundred magazines and many different quilting "how to" books. If it's an option for you, you should purchase a book for beginner quilters. It would be far superior to ANY magazine. I've seen really good ones which include large color illustrations for everything. A good book covers about everything you would need to know. I would prefer all my books to have spiral spines (or whatever I'm trying to say) so they stay open to any page, but most of them do not have the spiral. If you have a used book store in your area, it might have inexpensive quilt books on the shelf; also Connecting Threads and other mail order quilt product suppliers often have their "How To" books on sale OR if you have a Joann's nearby and a 40% or 50% off coupon, they have quite a large selection of books to choose from as well.

  12. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND IDEAS.... THEY'RE HELPING ALOT

  13. #38
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,717
    I forgot to say that I don't recommend any of the many magazines that I've subscribed to for over a decade for a beginner who needs to learn the basics (plus a mag. subscription costs as much as a good book). The magazines are really good for AFTER you've learned the basics ... many of my magazines were free introductory offers. If I'm not impressed with the free issue, I write 'cancel' on the invoice and return it. Quilt World has that option available; if you have a computer and can go on-line and access Quilt World, perhaps you can find the 'free trial issue' offer. Many others offer a free trial issue, also.

  14. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    I know all the basics, just want ideas and inspiration :D

  15. #40
    Senior Member dlf0122quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sun City, CA
    Posts
    503
    If you do not want to use magazines all the time, try going into the website www.quilterscache.com and in their dropdown menu is a place that says blocks galore or something like that and there are plenty of block patterns with instructions to help you get a handle on how to make different blocks. It tells you how easy or difficult they are by the little symbols on the side of each block pattern and what kind of method is used. You can also look them up by size of block you want to make.

  16. #41
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,348
    Blog Entries
    3
    i got a subscription to the electronic version of Quilter's World. news stand price is $5.99. mailed subscription is $21.95, including postage, which comes to $3.66 per issue. electronic is $14.97 ($2.50 per issue). the subscription price includes access to their online archive of back issues. it goes back two years. sooooo .... let's see ... haul out the calculator again ... the first year is actually three years, so that's like 83 cents an issue.

    it's a hoot, really. the digital magazine has everything the paper version does - including all the advertisements. no escaping those, i guess. :lol:

    here's a link to a free sample issue from Dec 08: https://digital.quilters-world.com/

    ************** just soze ya know i'm NOT a paid spokesperson for QW, here's info about another magazine i've subscribed to in the past *****

    a membership in the American Quilters' Society is $25. it includes 6 issues of their magazine. according to their website, this year's subscription includes a free copy of a book about mosaic applique. the book sells for $23. sounds like a deal to me.

    the magazine features high end quilts and techniques, but a lot of the ideas could be used to jazz up basic quilts, too. book prices on amazon are often lower than the member discounted price but they have bazillions available. you could browse and drool for days. :lol:

    http://www.americanquilter.com/member_resources/


  17. #42
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,717
    Sorry, Beverly. I misunderstood. I'm not thinking very clearly today with a migraine headache. I even said "IF you have a computer and can get on-line" ... DUH! I hope you find the publication that's exactly what you want.

  18. #43
    Senior Member Quiltntime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    608
    The first quilting magazine I picked up was the Quilter's Newsletter Magazine - Quilting Easy Piecing in 2004. Made an easy wall, another first. Easy instructions for a newbee quilter like me.

  19. #44
    Super Member Debra Mc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    3,050
    There is a book called Quilting for Dummies. You might look at that. I get about 6 different magazines. Quick Quilts is my favorite. Try something like logcabin or fence rails. These type are pretty easy. Also try an Irish Chain, they are really easy. When you get into stuff like the Lamoye Stars you get into to trouble. The first thing I made with this pattern I took apart a dozen times because they weren't perfect. I can sew just about anything from Prom & wedding dress to the most simplest thing & this nearly drove me nuts. Fons & Porter aren't always that easy & you have to try & find lots of expensive stuff for them. Good luck.

  20. #45
    Senior Member dlf0122quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sun City, CA
    Posts
    503
    I think there is a magazine called "Quick Quilts" and one called "Big Block Quilts" and they would be fairly simple to make. I think one of the first things to practice is making quarter inch seams. Once you get that mastered, you can make lots of patterns. A nine patch pattern is also a great block, it will teach you 1/4" seams, rotary cutting, pressing directions and lining up seams. It can be used in many ways, in borders, as alternating blocks with just plain blocks of the same finished size as the 9 patch and it really is a good pattern for learning. Also Rail Fence will teach you some of the same and those patterns can be found by googling "Free 9 patch quilt patterns or free rail fence quilt patterns.

  21. #46
    Senior Member AkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    739
    I too am interested in which magazines to sub to. I buy many from the store shelves but have not decided on any 1 or 2.

    One thing I do highly recommend tho for someone learning to quilt is
    Carol Doak's book titled: My First Quilt Book (sub: Or at least it should be)
    My sil gave this book to me when I was first learning to quilt and even now after a few years I still refer back to it quilt often.
    It is very user friendly and has nice beginner projects for both machine and hand piecing.

    Muriel

  22. #47
    Senior Member AkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    739
    bump

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.