Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
reading on hand quilting >

reading on hand quilting

reading on hand quilting

Old 12-09-2009, 03:47 PM

OMG!!! I have been trying to catch up on all here and I searched for hand quilting and I just want to say, with all that has been out here I have amazed myself... I read where one person used the Aunt Becky so I got mine out again and worked on that for a little bit. I got better at it. Then I kept reading about no hoop or frame. I have a book about quilting frame/loop free but they pin basted and I don't like working with saftey pins. I have leared how to baste a lap size quilt by sharon schmacher on her website and so I started quilting without the hoop. My stitches are better and smaller, just having getting use to how to hold my left hand under the quilt in the middle. Without reading the info on this board I would not have tried all this and felt comfortable with it. You guys are just awesome and thanks so much for all you do. Sorry for rambling on, just had to say this tonight. :) :) :)
Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Isn't it awesome how much information is available on this board :D:D:D I love how everyone here shares knowledge, experience, resources.... I am so grateful for finding this board and for getting to know the best group of quilters in the world :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Joanie,

Have you ever seen Suzanne Marshall's quilts or read her books? She also quilts without a hoop. She never took a quilting class, but taught herself how to quilt and applique. Her applique method is a little different and her quilts are incredibly detailed and gorgeous. She includes a lot of animals of all kinds in her quilts, including insects.

I ran across her first book, Take-Away Applique, at the library and was fascinated by it. I literally couldn't put it down. It's not a typical quilting book by any means. Suzanne begins the book with her first quilt, then continues from there, detailing her development as a quilter, where she got the ideas for her quilts, and she even includes the judges' comments on all her quilts, good and bad. It's just a really neat book. It was published in 1998 and isn't in print now, but I keep checking the used book sites hoping to find a copy.

Suzanne also published a more recent book, "Adventure & Applique." None of the libraries in my library's consortium have it, but I've got it on my list on Amazon in hopes of buying it someday.

Here's Suzanne's web site if you're interested: http://www.suzannequilts.com/index.html

Sorry to go on and on, but when you mentioned quilting by hand without a hoop it reminded me of Suzanne's book.

Oh, and I agree with you and Amma about how awesome this board is. All the members here are so helpful and sharing. It's great! :D
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sandy1951
Joanie,

Have you ever seen Suzanne Marshall's quilts or read her books? She also quilts without a hoop. She never took a quilting class, but taught herself how to quilt and applique. Her applique method is a little different and her quilts are incredibly detailed and gorgeous. She includes a lot of animals of all kinds in her quilts, including insects.

I ran across her first book, Take-Away Applique, at the library and was fascinated by it. I literally couldn't put it down. It's not a typical quilting book by any means. Suzanne begins the book with her first quilt, then continues from there, detailing her development as a quilter, where she got the ideas for her quilts, and she even includes the judges' comments on all her quilts, good and bad. It's just a really neat book. It was published in 1998 and isn't in print now, but I keep checking the used book sites hoping to find a copy.

Suzanne also published a more recent book, "Adventure & Applique." None of the libraries in my library's consortium have it, but I've got it on my list on Amazon in hopes of buying it someday.

Here's Suzanne's web site if you're interested: http://www.suzannequilts.com/index.html

Sorry to go on and on, but when you mentioned quilting by hand without a hoop it reminded me of Suzanne's book.

Oh, and I agree with you and Amma about how awesome this board is. All the members here are so helpful and sharing. It's great! :D
Don't worry about going on and on, I seem to do that all the time when I get on here. I will check out Suzanne's web site and go to the library on Saturday and see if they have any of her books. Thanks for the info
Old 12-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Joanieu
I have leared how to baste a lap size quilt by sharon schmacher on her website and so I started quilting without the hoop. My stitches are better and smaller, just having getting use to how to hold my left hand under the quilt in the middle. You guys are just awesome and thanks so much for all you do. :) :) :)
Well, thank you too :-D !! --I just checked out the website that you mention and find it pretty interesting. What size needle are you using for quilting without the hoop?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 AM

Well, thank you too :-D !! --I just checked out the website that you mention and find it pretty interesting. What size needle are you using for quilting without the hoop?[/quote]

Right now I am using a size 8 by john james - I have some other ones by Fons And Porter that I bought a month ago, (not sure what size) that I will use when I finish up these.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I learn something new here every day!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joanieu
Don't worry about going on and on, I seem to do that all the time when I get on here. I will check out Suzanne's web site and go to the library on Saturday and see if they have any of her books. Thanks for the info
I was just looking through Suzanne's web site again and realized she has a workshop entitled "Hand Quilting Without A Frame Or A Hoop." I don't hand quilt, but I'd love to take a class with her.

It's disappointing that the images of her quilts are so small on the site. You can't see the incredible detail in them. I don't think her site has been updated for a while, except for adding information about her second book, which was published in 2008. I wish quilters (and authors, for that matter) would update their sites regularly.