Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reading Quilt Patterns >

Reading Quilt Patterns

Reading Quilt Patterns

Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM

I taught a class on the "Fun and Done" patterns last fall. I got a call today from one of the students who set her project aside and now does not know how to make the quilt. She got the pattern as part of the class fee. It amazes me that she has not set down and tried to figure it out by reading the pattern. It would be different if she had not had the class and made some of the blocks. She said she would pay another class fee, but I feel guilty that maybe I hadn't taught her how to read the pattern. I usually need some assistance on something new and once someone shows me how to do something I can pick it up and then refer to the pattern as necessay. Any suggestions as to how to teach someone how to read a pattern?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:22 PM

I think most of the people who have sewn for a while will have no problem with patterns. There is a group that does need help though - I think mostly new quilters and people who are visual learners. Some just cannot read a pattern but if shown will remember it forever.
There are all kinds in any class. So going over the basics I'm sure would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:22 PM

I read it here on QB recently, when someone wrote "quilters want to see how it's done, not read instructions" (paraphrased). There's something really insightful about that, because some quilters may be extremely visually-oriented. Also puzzling through someone else's written instructions may be very challenging to someone who is a poor reader. This one student may be a special awakening for you, as the teacher: challenge yourself to invite her back to do the class over again; and study to see how she learns. How she learns best, that is.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:32 PM
saf

as a newbie to quilting, I hope you don't mind if I comment. I have done pattern reading myself before taking a basic class. It was difficult because one thing that I learned is that I am that 'visual learner'. It taught me something about myself as a student. The other thing is that until you have some familiarity with the task you do not know what questions to ask...I'm not sure that that makes sense. I only know that I ask different sorts of questions about instructions than I do about demonstrations. Is that any help to you?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:48 PM

I have founnd that patterns for sewing garments are easier to read and understand than quilt patterns. It could be because each step is accompanied by an illustration.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:15 PM

I agree some people are more visual and some need repetition to understand a pattern. That's why I love quilting, you can learn from so many ways. By books, internet, and by the fellow quilter!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by saf
as a newbie to quilting, I hope you don't mind if I comment. I have done pattern reading myself before taking a basic class. It was difficult because one thing that I learned is that I am that 'visual learner'. It taught me something about myself as a student. The other thing is that until you have some familiarity with the task you do not know what questions to ask...I'm not sure that that makes sense. I only know that I ask different sorts of questions about instructions than I do about demonstrations. Is that any help to you?
I know what you mean about not knowing what questions to ask because you are still too new at something. I also know in my case that sometimes I have trouble remembering things, especially things I read because of medication I am on. You never know what the circumstances of a student may be.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 PM

I think sometimes the pattern writers assume we know more than we do. Quilting is full of new terms that take some time to digest.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:56 PM

You know the saying "use it or lose it"? Out of necessity for those who are ESL (English as a second language) speakers and to take up less space, directions for many tasks are given with few or no words and step by step pictures. Our technology is all visual cues. These and other society changes makes us visually dependent when learning how to do something and our critical thinking "muscles" are fat and flabby! We are all becoming visual learners if we are not so already. Add that some written pattern directions are done poorly and it can be very frustrating. Even "non-newbies" struggle with some directions and instructions. Don't doubt your teaching if the majority got it.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

Let me give a different opinion. I don't believe you are obligated to give the class again just because this student doesn't remember how to do the project. I assume it was a day long class. I would find out as much as possible about the difficulty she is having and then decide just how much time you want to spend. The most I personally would consider is to show her the steps from your samples, look over hers and spend 30 min to an hr. But first I would ask her which parts of the pattern she is having difficulty with....direct her back to the pattern so you will know where to start.