Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ready To Free Motion Quilt

Please let me know how it came out & what you did. if you could email me at [email protected] Thank You .. Shirley

Oh it so intimidating but once you start you can't stop. It is a whole new area of quilting to be excited, thrilled and scared about. (I just finished my first one after procrastinating for several years.) I took a class from Harriet Hargrave last September/October and she gave me the confidence to DO
    IT.

I felt just like you did until I took Jill Schumacker's machine quilting class. It took 3 different classes and I finally did it. The first quilt wasn't exactly something to brag about but my next one was. A lot of stitching in the ditch really helped me.

Ginger S :)

It sure doesn't take long to get tired from the poor posture and the irregular breathing! After a fat quarter practice sandwich, I'm spent. Also, with the stippling toward the end of the sandwich I losing my focus and some sloppy things happen. Still trying to get the backing stitch be more consistent in it's look. I'm taking a class Saturday afternoon for home sewing machine free motion quilting and they will also teach us how to bind the piece we do in class. Will post that.

I am still learning how to FMQ and was trying last night. A word of advice - slow down and keep your thumbs out of the way!! :oops: It doesn't feel good to sew into your thumb! Been there and now have done it! Oh well when you fall off the horse you have to get right back on again! Sew to the machine I go!

Good idea on the garden gloves. I have been using finger cots and they're less than ideal...sweaty fingers and they're fragil. The quilt shop was out of cloves when I signed up for class and I was going to stop at Joann's today...will check Walmart or Target.

Here's a real newbie question....Do you sew on the paper after you have trace a patten on it? Has anyone tried the rolls of border that you stick onto the fabric? I really do need something to follow to stitch!!!! Don't really like the idea of drawing pattern on fabric...sounds really tedious.

I have done quite a bit of free motion quilting and each time I start I get anxious about it. You just have to jump in. One thing I have found is that after washing the quilt, the puckering that occurs covers up mistakes. Instead of meandering I find it easier to do swirls in different sizes. STop with needle down when you need to reajust your hands at a natural stopping place, which for me is in the center of the swirl when I change direction. It does take practice and is much cheaper than sending out to a long arm quilter. Have fun and breath!

there is somthing called golden threads paper, it is like tissue paper, you trace your pattern onto it, pin to fabric and sew over it, it is a bit teadious to remove all the paper bits afterward but it does work great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2