Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready to give up >

Ready to give up

Ready to give up

Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Oh Joyce, it is so good for me, not you, to hear your complaint, as I have had some real problems with the first quilt I have made for my bed. I have always given them away as gifts, now that I tried a harder one for self, it has been nothing but a headache. I have made so many mistakes, I am ready to throw in the garbage too! And to hear from so many more quilters, to know I am not the only one struggling, makes me feel better.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
When you make the "sandwich" is the backing completely free of wrinkles? Do you have a large enough flat area to either tape it down (like a clean kitchen floor, for example) or clamp it to a large table top? Make sure you're backing is wrinkle free before placing your batting on top of that and then your top. Pin, pin, pin, and pin some more!! Start your quilting in the center of the quilt and work to the ends. As I'm quilting, I give the backing a slight "tug" as I'm going along, especially after I remove pins that are in my path. This smooths any wrinkles that might have been in the backing from pinning.

When you're done quilting, square up the quilt before binding.

Don't give up. Take it slow. We were all beginners once upon a time. It will get easier as you get more experience.

Hope this helps.
I always pin the layers first, then hand baste about 8" apart in both directions. I've never had wrinkles in my backing, and don't have to worry about pins falling out or sticking myself with one of them.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:27 AM
jme

Originally Posted by candi
I am so sorry you are having a bad week. Are you taping the backing down to the floor/table with a painters tape before laying on the batting and top? If not, try it this way, I pull it pretty snug and tape it on all four corners.

Good luck. Ia m sure your sister will love it.
That's a great idea. I've never heard that before. I will definately be trying that next time!
Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont
Because I can no longer grovel around on the floor and don't have a quilt-sized table, I've tried several basting methods, some better than others. However, a few weeks ago I came across these video tutorials (2 parts) and have used it since. I have enjoyed complete success the first time, every time. And I'm pleased to say that after the first one, it actually now takes far less time than the other methods.

The bigger the quilt, the longer the boards. But as long as the majority of the (rolled) weight sits atop the table, it doesn't matter too much what size the table is. I particularly love being able to comfortably sit in one spot and baste a full-sized quilt with predictable results.

Hope you find these helpful too. Go to:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjB...eature=related
This is for basting as I found out, but it also worked on keeping out the puckers.