Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Really puffy batting for tied quilts >

Really puffy batting for tied quilts

Really puffy batting for tied quilts

Old 10-14-2011, 02:20 PM

When Soft and Crafty first came out, I bought some for a tied quilt for my Mom and Dad. I think it was the Extra Lofty. The loft was over 3/4 inch (more than package indicates) and as warm as a down quilt (their report, not mine). Earlier this year, I bought a package that I returned. The loft wasn't even 1/2 inch, much less the 3/4 inch indicated on the package. I reported it to Joann's corporate. Was going to buy some recently and it is STILL short of the claim. What happened? This stuff was great when it came out and now it doesn't even have the loft indicated on the package. Does anybody else have an alternative recommendation? My current solution is to buy 2 batts and that is a tad more pricier to do.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:33 PM

I only use Warm & Natural cotton batting for doing machine quilting, so I don't know a thing about poly battings. Sorry I can't help. Why do you want it so puffy? Is it a certain style of quilt you are making?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:37 PM

If you want a really puffy batt, check out the carding mills...I know there is one in St Peter, MN...probably others too...they are the puffiest poly batts that I know of, but better in tied quilts than in machine quilted ones. They sell the batting by the pound so you can get one as thick as you want. There are several carding mills left yet in Wisconsin...I prefer the wool batting, but know that the polyester is used by lots of people for washability.