Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Skinny Strips of Fabric

i use them to make rag bowls, the 3/4" or more work fantastic and the bowls are oh so easy to do just get clothes line, wrap around and zig zag together. also i use those to paper piece little pineapple blocks 4" they turn out great. if you want to throw them all in a envelope and send them I will put them to use for my charity quilts. takes awhile to gather but they turn out beautiful for the hospital. waste not, want not, I don't have the heart throw anything out, come from the old school I guess.

I am making a crocheted rug and use skinny strips or selvages. My quilt group all save their selvages for me although some of them are too short as the rug gets bigger so you spend lots of time tying in new pieces. I think I have them "trained" now to only give me the longer ones! The width I've been using is about 1/2". I found this tip/idea in a quilting magazine.

Blog Entries
    If it's too overwhelming to keep them for your own use, think about this: some humane societies use dog/cat pads. A friend uses small scraps to fill these and is always looking for more. The handmade pads are sturdy and completely washable. If you call the humane society, they may be able to connect you with someone who does this.

Sewn to adding machine paper. Got that from this board.
    Also not quilty but I love them. Rag garlands.

Miniature log cabin is typically made with 3/4 to 1 inch inch strips. Since it is such a small quilt and there isn't a lot of pull on the seams, you can use a little less than 1/4 inch seam.

Blog Entries
    I often use 1 inch pieces to accent a quilt. After making the main part I add a little strip just to set it off. I do not have one right now to take a picture of but it is basically like putting a very small border on and the adding more.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    I roll mine up into balls and the kitty plays with them. One time I had a yard sale and I had wrapped up the strings into balls and set them in a wicker basket and people bought them for $1.00! Can you believe it!! Cut them up and leave them out for the birds. I also use them to tie things up.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    I have seen some of all sizes sewn together and cut into blocks. I put any small scraps I can not use out for the birds to build their nest.
    What a great idea. I think I will do that.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Love the quilt what a detailed work with such small pieces. WOW!!

Great ideas all .. Thanks for sharing !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Use it up, Wear it out, make it do, or Do without. I hate to waste so I save "just in case" i need it in a mini. Love the pic posted too!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work.

Blog Entries
    holice there is a guy on this board who made a wonderful magazine worthy masterpiece using 5/8" pieces of fabric. i would say no pieces are too small. some use the really small pieces for applique. give them as a pif instead of pitching them. i have started doing that myself.

here is the link to the husband's masterpiece with over 100,000 pieces of fabric.http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t172737-6.html

i have also used my small strips to make scrappy binding for borders or binding for my scrappy quilt projects.

Name:  scrap binding.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  135.2 KB
    Last edited by Havplenty; 03-01-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Holice: I have sent you a PM regarding these strips. Tks. GiGi

With my machine I have an attachment that is used for sewing bias binding onto projects. It does not like strips wider than one inch. I will run non bias, cross grain [wof] through it minus project to get great double fold narrow stringletts that will be great for small purse handles or drawstrings and much more. Also you can use the same thing with project to bind off raw edges...as long as there is no curve it works fine...for example take a quilted strip or doubled strip of fabric, bind the raw edges and you have great purse handles or straps. Also you could take those bits raw edges and all and weave them together to make some "new" fabric. I usually do this on a piece of fusible side up interfacing and when the weaving is done a bit of a press makes it very stable. It makes great place-mats.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Blog Entries
    I recently taught a class about what to do with these "useless" fabric scraps. Some of the ideas have already been brought up, such as mini blocks (log cabin or tiny paper pieced are good), and the wrapped bowls. We also make fabric beads, scrappy trim (done in a "figure 8" over fabric or ribbon), "toothbrush rugs", and all kinds of accents for applique. if you have the room to keep it for the time being, don't throw it away!

I use skinny leftovers like that for my bowls...wrap them around some cotton clothesline and sew them up with a zig-zag stitch and get a nice and very useable bowl in no time flat. If you don't want them I'll take them off your hands, lol!

Blog Entries
    I'm the quilter from CA with the Keeshond, and I believe we met at the NH keepsake quilting shop. I couldn't do a 1/8 inch seam, I'm sure.

Here's the link to a free Spiderweb pattern. http://www.maryquilts.com/wp-content...structions.pdf
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

I saw a beautiful rug knit on size 35 needles that was made of narrow strips of fabric. It was on crazymomquilts.blogspot.com.

Blog Entries
    You could make a skinny log cabin with them. Use some large and then some small pieces alternating them.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    tie up garden plants and cut into crumbs for beds at the animal shelter
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

I must not have a very good imagination...I just throw them away. I don't know if I'ld have the patience to sew all those tiny pieces together. LOL The quilt in the pic is very nice, though.

Thanks for all the great ideas for using skinny scraps.

Blog Entries
    doll quilts, art quilts, embellishment. if you don't want them i bet there are others on the qb who would be glad to have them! play with them, you could have lots of fun!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

I know it is not artistic, nor a challenge, but . . . . . Put any small scrap into an old pillowcase and sew it closed. Using a long basting stitch to quilt it into sections. Thus creating a sleep mattress for abandoned pets at a local shelter. They don't care if it is pretty or not.

Banned
    If I'm adding a border to a quilt I almost always begin with a 1" strip to enclose the quilt before adding a larger border.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast