Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: recommendation for a quilt book

  1. #26
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,575
    Yes, and don't forget a link to this site! She may do more looking than quilting, like me!

  2. #27
    Senior Member kathyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by mltquilt
    My first quilting book was by Fons & Porter. I still have it. The name is "Quilters Complete Guide."

    mltquilt
    This is my go to book, and I have been quilting for years. It covers everything and has pictures to help.

  3. #28
    Super Member k9dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mena, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,354
    Blog Entries
    2
    The It's Okay to Sit on My Quilt Book.

  4. #29
    Super Member luvstoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Yorkville, IL
    Posts
    6,599
    Blog Entries
    3
    My first book and still a favorite is ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CLASSIC QUILT PATTERNS presented by Leisure Arts. I can spend an afternoon just looking through it!

  5. #30
    Senior Member JackieG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Southwest
    Posts
    508
    I found Quilting 101 to be the most helpful. It's a yellow, hard-back cover with lots of little beginner projects to help a new quilter get started. It runs about $24.95, but with a 40% off coupon from J/A's, it's very affordable.

  6. #31
    Senior Member JenelTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by marand
    Ok. I am working on building a basket of quilt supplies for someone who is just starting quilting and thank you for all your ideas in an earlier post.. Now if you could choose only one or two quilt how-to books to have, which would it be? Thank you
    MA
    I'm a new quilter, and I've looked through several books. I chose the Fons and Porter book because it explained things thoroughly and understandably.

  7. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    135
    What a fabulous idea! I wish I had been given such an awesome and thoughtful gift!

  8. #33
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16,588
    Great idea!

    Hope you are including some fabric, perhaps with everything she needs to complete a project ... kit style!

    No specific book suggestions here ... be sure to include lists of favourite websites. Of course this Board!

  9. #34
    Super Member GGinMcKinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    N Texas
    Posts
    1,137
    Fons & Porter mentioned above is still my go to book.
    Also, videos online helped immensely.
    Self taught.

  10. #35
    Super Member CoriAmD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Orion, Mich
    Posts
    1,634
    Nancy Zieman's "Quilt with Confidence" book... available at JoAnn Fabrics.

  11. #36
    lbc
    lbc is offline
    Senior Member lbc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vallejo, California
    Posts
    982
    I love the Better Homes and Gardens "Complete Guide to Quilting" and would put a bookmark on page 12-7 which shows a wonderful way to join bindings.

  12. #37
    Super Member michelehuston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by mltquilt
    My first quilting book was by Fons & Porter. I still have it. The name is "Quilters Complete Guide."

    mltquilt
    I agree, this is the first one to have!!

  13. #38
    Super Member createfourpaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,915
    I recommend the "The Quilter's Pocket Reference" by Peggy Scholley. An easy Guide to yardage and more. I have used this many times. Helpful when planning your own quilt for how much fabric and seeing how many pieces you can get from a yardage.

    Great idea for a new quilter.

  14. #39
    Super Member CorgiNole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    Posts
    1,085
    A Quilter's Academy Freshman Year by Harriet Hargrave & Carrie Hargrave.

    I love this book, actually it is a series - 3 of the 6 have now been published.

    Cheers, K

  15. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    569
    Where do I sign up to be your friend?:>)

  16. #41
    Super Member grammysharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Monmouth, Oregon
    Posts
    5,882
    Blog Entries
    1
    For a new quilter this is a great book.
    Quote Originally Posted by mltquilt
    My first quilting book was by Fons & Porter. I still have it. The name is "Quilters Complete Guide."

    mltquilt

  17. #42
    Junior Member SundarKoyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    292
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary L Booth
    Log Cabin by E. Burns
    I was wondering what the name of the style of the log cabin quilt in your avatar is? I love that star pattern in the center. Way cool.

  18. #43
    Junior Member g-maquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wentzville, MO
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Carol Doaks- Your first Quilt Book ( or it should be) it has a red cover :thumbup:
    I agree, I got it for my sister when she wanted to start quilting

  19. #44
    Super Member katesnanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,449
    Blog Entries
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by marand
    Ok. I am working on building a basket of quilt supplies for someone who is just starting quilting and thank you for all your ideas in an earlier post.. Now if you could choose only one or two quilt how-to books to have, which would it be? Thank you
    MA
    My choice would be The Quilters ULTIMATE Visual Guide. Ellen Pahl, editor. This is a Rodale book. Rodale books are fabulous with clear instructions and lots of helpful photos.

  20. #45
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some where in way out West Texas
    Posts
    3,041
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary L Booth
    Log Cabin by E. Burns
    Ditto here. I love her Quilt in a Day Log Cabin - she has pictures and full details on how to do her style of LC's. Plus there are pages of pics for different types of LC and directions for different sizes of bed quilts - twin-king. I also think it would be nice to give her a pattern for the quick table runner, that takes about 30 minutes to make. She could learn to put a border on something immediately. I'm not sure of the name, I just call it my fast table runner pattern. So quick and easy.

  21. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    508
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    Quilts, Quilts, Quilts The Complete Guide to Quilt Making
    This was my first quilt book too. I still have dog-eared pages with patterns that I want to do from that book. It is my go-to book since I am still a newbie at quilting. Very easy to understand. The other book I bought at the same time is called, "Start Quilting with Alex Anderson" - 3rd edition.

    Those were my first two books, and am still using them even now.
    I have this book, "Quilts, Quilts, Quilts The Complete Guide to Quilt Making", checked out from our Library now. I have found it very helpful and would love to have my own copy. That one, as well as the Log Cabin book by Eleanor Burns. So many have commented favorably and I would like to try and make a log cabin quilt.

  22. #47
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Carol Doaks- Your first Quilt Book ( or it should be) it has a red cover :thumbup:
    I also have this book. I love it. I still look something up if I get STUCK!!!!

  23. #48
    Junior Member SundarKoyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    292
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPa
    Quote Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    Quilts, Quilts, Quilts The Complete Guide to Quilt Making
    This was my first quilt book too. I still have dog-eared pages with patterns that I want to do from that book. It is my go-to book since I am still a newbie at quilting. Very easy to understand. The other book I bought at the same time is called, "Start Quilting with Alex Anderson" - 3rd edition.

    Those were my first two books, and am still using them even now.
    I have this book, "Quilts, Quilts, Quilts The Complete Guide to Quilt Making", checked out from our Library now. I have found it very helpful and would love to have my own copy. That one, as well as the Log Cabin book by Eleanor Burns. So many have commented favorably and I would like to try and make a log cabin quilt.
    Looll, I have the Log Cabin Book - Eleanor Burns, on my wishlist at Amazon. One day ima gonna get that book.

  24. #49
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Some where in way out West Texas
    Posts
    3,041
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPa
    Quote Originally Posted by SundarKoyal
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    Quilts, Quilts, Quilts The Complete Guide to Quilt Making
    This was my first quilt book too. I still have dog-eared pages with patterns that I want to do from that book. It is my go-to book since I am still a newbie at quilting. Very easy to understand. The other book I bought at the same time is called, "Start Quilting with Alex Anderson" - 3rd edition.

    Those were my first two books, and am still using them even now.
    I have this book, "Quilts, Quilts, Quilts The Complete Guide to Quilt Making", checked out from our Library now. I have found it very helpful and would love to have my own copy. That one, as well as the Log Cabin book by Eleanor Burns. So many have commented favorably and I would like to try and make a log cabin quilt.
    Looll, I have the Log Cabin Book - Eleanor Burns, on my wishlist at Amazon. One day ima gonna get that book.
    EB's Log C. book is sold at Hobby Lobby as well. That's where I picked mine up several years ago. I don't know the price on Amazon.

  25. #50
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    7,663
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nancy Zeiman-Quilt with Confidence
    or anything by Eleanor Burns

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.