Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendations for Embroidery Machine >

Recommendations for Embroidery Machine

Recommendations for Embroidery Machine

Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Default Recommendations for Embroidery Machine

I know many of you have embroidery machines.

I'm hoping to get some first hand information regarding what you like and dislike about the machine you have and if you wish you had a different one, what that one would be (and why) as well.

My desire is to get one that has the capability to scan in a design. However I don't want to break the bank either.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 PM

I have a Janome I can't scan but I love my machine. The one thing that I would say is hopefully you can buy your machine were you can get lots of support. When I bought mine from a local dealer 10 minutes away. They answered all my question & friendly. Later I found another dealer a 45 minute drive, they had a free embroidery club they do monthly demo's and show & tell. I drive the 45 minutes as often as possible. I have learned so much from them I kinda wish I bought my machine from them. I do realize I'm lucky to have two within an hrs. drive. Also do your homework and a good place to start is right here on the Board. Good luck and will be watching this post, will like to know what you decide on.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM

I recently bought the Ellisimo and I love it. I had a 10 year old Bernina and wanted to upgrade. Looked at ALL the embroidery/sewing machines. What I liked about the "E": it has a camera so it makes it super easy to place your design, just where you want it. It scans the fabric and you can see where you are placing the motif. It's a pretty easy machine. I really like my dealer, I've purchased many machines from him and it is important to purchase from someone you really can work with. They have many classes (a lot of them free) to help us learn our machines - there is a lot to learn.

I was able to purchase one that had been used for a demonstration day at a good price with full warranty. It had very few stitches on it and most of the feet, accessories were still packaged. Because they came out with a "gold" edition you might find a used regular ellisimo for a good price. There were 2 upgrades in the gold edition and you can purchase them for your regular one, thereby making it a gold. the only difference is the screen has a higher resolution for the gold. but, I really don't save photos on there- so it makes no difference to me. The screen is still fabulous!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:23 AM

I have been sold on Brother machines for Emb. since 2000 at least...
I love them, very solid, user friendly...I bought the Duetta 4500 after having a 8500...Go for the largest hoop you can afford (better to have too much than not enough)...I also have the Pfaff CV 5.5 but if I had my way I would really have the Duetta AND the QUATTRO...not the latest but the original...
Kirsten
Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 AM

Best thing to do is to do a search online for all the top embroidery machines and see if they have the ability to scan.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:50 AM

Don't have one, but if it were my choice it would be either the quatro or the ellisimo depending on which is better priced since they are the same machine but have different embroidery designs in them. Have only heard great things about these 2 machines and everyone loves them
Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 AM

Just a thought you may get more flexibility in selection if you use a seperate software for digitzing a scan.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:04 AM

You'll never get consistently good designs with a system that "scans" in a picture and converts it. That is called autodigitizing, and it doesn't work very well even with high priced systems. As Lori S recommended, pick your machine first and then pick the digitizing software independently. All the quality systems work with basically all the machines so you aren't stuck with just one brand. Also realize that making good embroidery designs takes practice and effort - it is not something that happens the first time you try. I always recommend new embroiderers get a good machine and buy some good designs to see how they sew out. When you realize what makes a good design (underlay, stitch angles, compensation) you'll know what to do to make your own designs well. There are so many good designs out there for small amount of money that many people who start out thinking they're going to do their own designs decide it just isn't worth it. Then again, some people really get into it because it's fun (like me!).

Note that I do have a small embroidery business and do digitizing for others, so I really do know what is involved. As for specific machines, pick the one you'll get the most support for. For most people that means a good local dealer. A good one offers training, both initial and continuing. They'll be there to answer your basic questions, and they'll get a machine repaired quickly. A good dealer is worth their weight in gold!

Pam
Old 01-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Babylock has a new machine that I think is the one I would get if I were to replace mine. It has a tablet where you can draw a design and then the sewing machine itself will convert the drawing to an embroidery machine design that the machine will sew out for you. This seems to me to be a feature that will eliminate the software digitizing program need, let you use all the original designs you want and still it does everything previous generations has done. I just don't see how it can be beat - all cheaper than the price of a good used car - or a really nice vacation. However, don't confuse it with a bargain basement machine.

Last edited by TanyaL; 01-28-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:26 PM

for me my next machine will have --a large embroidery area----easy transfere of design from computer to machine
built in editing abillity untill i can afford it i will continue with my pfaff