Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendations for first longarm >

Recommendations for first longarm

Recommendations for first longarm

Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 AM

Default Recommendations for first longarm

I think I'd like to have one of the beginner longarm machines. I bought the Pfaff Grand Quilter which I didn't get far with. The throat is only 9". It frustrated more than anything. Didn't end up being able to quilt anything. But, I'd like to think about it again. What would you recommend?? I don't want a really expensive machine and frame.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:06 AM

It all depends on what you want to spend, also if you want something that has a 14, 15, 16 inch harp space or larger. My friend bought a Q'nique midarm which she loved has built in stitch regulator, the only reason she upgraded was because she wanted a 26 inch harp I think she now has a Fusion.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:33 AM

I learned on a 12" Nolting at work, when I retired, I bought a machine on Craiglist for $1,000., It had a harp of 9" worked on it for a couple of years and sold it for $900. I then bought a HandiQuilter 16 on a 10 ft. table, for $4,500. it has a harp or 16" got it also on Craiglist and that is what I have now.

I am happy with "Harriet", and what I am trying to say is there are used machines that might not have all the bells and whistles but will work out well for you.

Happy hunting.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

If you can hold off until the summer, I would go to the AQS show in Grand Rapids. All the long arm and mid arm vendors will be there and you can try the machines. Go with a list of the kinds of quilts you usually do, and the type of quilting you want to do on them, such as FMQ and/or pantogaphs. Also ask a bunch of questions about the frame: how do you load the quilt? How is the quilt advanced? How much of the arm is realistically open for quilting as the quilt is rolled. Find out where you will be able to get support locally when you return home. Will they set up? Do they offer lessons? And finally, even if you are sure you want a machine on a frame, I would also try the sit down models.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:55 PM

Paper Princess is right on the target on this subject. I would also add that it would be smart to take a lesson and rent time on a long arm at a local shop(most require you take the class to be able to rent time). A long arm (or even a mid-arm or a sit-down) is very costly and you should make sure that you like quilting first. I have a friend who's DH bought her a long arm (APQS) and she HATES the quilting process--loves to piece! So now he uses it for charity quilts.

When I was looking, I think it was Long Arm University website that had some excellent checklists for potential long arm owners to think about.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:30 AM

It is ultimately all about the $$ you are willing to spend. I agree with PaperPrincess that attending a show might be useful for you - firstly you will get to try out many machines, get lots of prices and perhaps one of the venders will have a deal on either a new machine or even a trade in that they have in stock. You can also check on Craigslist.

I started six years ago with this same search and ended up purchasing a used Voyager 17 from a fellow QB member not to far from me. The total cost was less than $4K. It was a perfect (for me) machine. It had a stitch regulator and a ruler base and worked perfectly. I quilted like mad on it and just sold it for less than $3k as I am now ready for something else. The gal who purchased my Voyager wanted to do her quilts from start to finish but had limited funds. So decent midarms are out there for a reasonable sum.

My new machine arrives Sunday!! My replacement for the Voyager is a new HQ Avante with a ProStitcher!!

Good luck with your search - take your time and do your research!!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:03 AM
mkc

+1 (well, +2) on what several folks have already suggested -

Do try to find someplace to take an intro/certification class so you are familiar with operating a longarm. The class I took included practicing on a couple of charity quilts. This was HUGE towards me being comfortable test-driving machines.

Then try, try, try. Try every one that you can that is in your price range (and maybe a little above in case you can find a gently used one). Pay attention to feel and sound - are there ones that grate on your nerves? There were for me.

It's a big investment so take your time and find the one that makes you smile when you use it.

Michelle
Old 03-25-2017, 06:58 AM

Lots of people love their Handiquilters.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:14 AM

check out the brother dream fabric frame and the brother 15inch quilter it is a nice small setup
Old 03-25-2017, 01:50 PM

I have a HQ16 bought off Craigslist, plus a pcquilter, which is a robot that moves the HQ16 on the frame tracks. It works via a computer. I've never been sorry to have purchased it. Most problems I have had with my set up are due to operator error. I can sew up to a 12" deep pattern, but only on smaller quilts. Most lap quilts I quilt at 11", bigger quilts require a pattern that is 10" or less because of the bulk that accumulates in the harp as you quilt.

Have fun with the shopping and with the long arm.