Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: recycled material.

Smile recycled material.

I hadn't quilted for a while as found fabrics were getting expensive for me.Now my local charity shop is going to save me small bits of material they cant use so I can make quilts .Also I have the option of giving them ones I make to resell.Good both ways for me giving me an outlet and free fabrics.

What a great idea! Congratulations to you in making the connection to the shop. Be sure to post pics. This is a very visual group!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Talk about recycling. Quilters have been doing that for years. Great that you're doing this to help raise funds.

That's a great deal for you both. I used to buy cotton clothing by the bag at a thrift store to cut up for quilts...where there's a will there's a way...

Blog Entries
    also, i had asked my local 'goodwill' shop for any stained or torn mattress pads to use as batting. i made them a quilt to sell with it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

The average price of new fabric here in UK is 20 dollars a metre (39") so I am always looking in charity stops. Good luck!
    maker of the 'Oh Dear Jane' Quilt, or should I say trying to the the maker of it?

Yes, charity shops (or thrift shops) are very often a good source of material.

Power Poster
    Have a look at Bonnie Hunter's www.quiltville.blogspot.com site. She makes a lot of her scrap quilts from recycled cotton shirt fabrics. She even has a video on how to de-bone a shirt.

Great idea!!!

Blog Entries
    I am doing a little destashing and not wanting to bother with sale. I could "pay it forward" if you are interested. I will cover shipping, too. If interested, pm me your address!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also did this with jeans when I wanted to make a denim quilt. I went into one of our local thrift stores (locally owned and operated--they have more freedom than one like Goodwill) and asked them if they ever got jeans in that they can't sell because they were ripped in the knees/holes. (before the fad)...

They said yes. I returned two days later and had a large trash bag of jeans from one and also one from another. I didn't ask them for a 'nonending' deal, but rather, just a few days...and got plenty of jeans...enough to get me started.

How very sweet of you. I am so proud of our QB members. We seem to have such generous hearts. I have been destashing also. GOD Bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    I am doing a little destashing and not wanting to bother with sale. I could "pay it forward" if you are interested. I will cover shipping, too. If interested, pm me your address!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 321 View Post
    I hadn't quilted for a while as found fabrics were getting expensive for me.Now my local charity shop is going to save me small bits of material they cant use so I can make quilts .Also I have the option of giving them ones I make to resell.Good both ways for me giving me an outlet and free fabrics.
    I am 50 yrs old and I have and will continue to use what material I can find new or used like skirts shirts or aprons or what ever.My mother and grandmother did and I always will as long as I am able to.Don't waste nothing these days or you will probably regret it.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Blog Entries
    I know what you all mean--I have a hard time getting rid of clothes that don't fit because it's got some nice fabric in it!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Oh my gosh! I had no idea how much you guys paid for quality fabric. Keep looking for charity shops...I would be.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Quote Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
    Oh my gosh! I had no idea how much you guys paid for quality fabric. Keep looking for charity shops...I would be.
    Here in Canada it's pretty similar. The prices seem to range from about $17 - $25/m (39") for quality, or even for poor quality in some cases.

I ran into a lady in Walmart the other day. My cousin, her daughter, and I were there looking for baby stuff, and of course had to snoop at the sewing department (ours don't have bolts of fabric anymore, so it was mostly just looking at pretty colors) and we were discussing Fabricland (our version of Joann's) and a lady overheard us and said where should I shop then if FL is poor quality and expensive? We all spoke up and said the quilt shops! Here, they're actually cheaper as a rule than the fabric shops, and better quality. The worst part of it is, because the fabric shops are what a lot of people know about, a lot of people new to sewing think that sewing is more expensive than it needs to be.

I really want to order online, but I can't get past not being able to see and touch the fabric first. Besides, I really don't need more at this point. My stash is more like a museum than something I use lately.

Power Poster
    That's a fantastic idea and it's nice to have that special relationship with the charity shop - works for both of you.

Power Poster
    That is a good deal..good for you.....

alikat110, what a nice thing to do for her. Hip Hip Hurray for the quilting board sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by 321 View Post
    I've made about a dozen personal sized rag quilts this year. Only one had fabric specially purchased for it.
    A couple years ago, a gal at church got a boat load of sewing and quilting stuff for a $7 bid at an auction, which she passed along to some of us who sew a lot. Among the things she had was a pillow ticking day bed cover. And some red denim whatever that was probably used as curtains. She and the other ladies wanted to ditch the fabric because of some stains. NOT ME. I grabbed it, dumped it in a big bath of Oxy-clean, then hit it with the seam ripper. I got a lot of fabric out of it. Early this year, her hubby was diagonsed with cancer, late stage. I made him a rag quilt out of the ticking and the denim. Added a bit more fabric and he ended up with a neat quilt. It was almost like B bought the fabric and I did the work.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    This is so nice of you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weenween View Post
    I am 50 yrs old and I have and will continue to use what material I can find new or used like skirts shirts or aprons or what ever.My mother and grandmother did and I always will as long as I am able to.Don't waste nothing these days or you will probably regret it.
    I have already claimed some of my husband's shirts when he no longer wants them, they are lovely fabric and nice looking.

I love finding material and notions at yard sales and thrift stores. We have a few in town that I have a lot of luck with. One sells the fabric $1.00 a meter!

My daughters go to look at thrift stores to find dresses to wear, and I look at the dresses to rip apart for fabric

One trip to the thrift stores I found so many items that I said , that's it no more spending for me I reached my limit ($20.00)
    THEN we go to a yard sale of a sewer and she was selling so many nice pieces of fabric . I only spent $5 but I wanted it all!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stablemom View Post
    I have already claimed some of my husband's shirts when he no longer wants them, they are lovely fabric and nice looking.

I love finding material and notions at yard sales and thrift stores. We have a few in town that I have a lot of luck with. One sells the fabric $1.00 a meter!

My daughters go to look at thrift stores to find dresses to wear, and I look at the dresses to rip apart for fabric

One trip to the thrift stores I found so many items that I said , that's it no more spending for me I reached my limit ($20.00)
    THEN we go to a yard sale of a sewer and she was selling so many nice pieces of fabric . I only spent $5 but I wanted it all!!!!
    I don't yard sale much. I get in enough trouble at Goodwill. Did pack away some plaid men's shirts, pants and skirts from our church rummage sale. Didn't cost anything, as it was being packed up for its next home. I'm wanting to get a couple church projects going. Pillow cases for Special Olympicians and shopping bags for some living in group homes.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E