Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recycled/repurposed Denim projects >

recycled/repurposed Denim projects

recycled/repurposed Denim projects

Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
Here's on I made a few years ago...
That is so cool! Love the log cabin look. I have 2 storage tubs of jeans just waiting for me to come up with an idea on how to make them into quilts. I like your idea. Might steal it!!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kellen46
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
I saw some great aprons made out of old jeans at a craft fair and have been looking for a pattern but have yet to find it they also had some made of old bib overalls. They added cotton print fabric in places, for the pockets and waist band if I remember correctly.
here is a picture of one of the aprons I have made out of bib overalls. The neat thing is you get two aprons from one overall. I like to giddy them up with lots of left over bit and pieces.
that is just wonderful! Did you make a pattern for it?
I don't really have a pattern. I just split it up the sides to separate the back and the front. I adjust the length to what I want and then split the crotch seam until I can get one side to over lap the other and to get it to lay flat. After that is is just a matter of your imagination to see what you can do with it. I like scrap it up with lots of bright fabrics, lace, rickrack, buttons or whatever. Here is a good place to play and experiment. Add some ruffles to the bottom edge out of a happy fabric. As for the neck, for the front I use the already there buttons with maybe a new strap, for the back, if you look carefully at the picture you can see how I over lapped the ends to make a loop to put over the head. I you really need a pattern, I think Mary Mulari made one on a sewing with Nancy episode. She has lots of video's on her site and you will find it there or on Mary's site.
Check the thrift shop for bib overall shorts. They are the perfect length for aprons.
thank for the info...I think these will be cute for our gardener's group booth at the fair this fall!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
I saw some great aprons made out of old jeans at a craft fair and have been looking for a pattern but have yet to find it they also had some made of old bib overalls. They added cotton print fabric in places, for the pockets and waist band if I remember correctly.
here is a picture of one of the aprons I have made out of bib overalls. The neat thing is you get two aprons from one overall. I like to giddy them up with lots of left over bit and pieces.
that is just wonderful! Did you make a pattern for it?
I don't really have a pattern. I just split it up the sides to separate the back and the front. I adjust the length to what I want and then split the crotch seam until I can get one side to over lap the other and to get it to lay flat. After that is is just a matter of your imagination to see what you can do with it. I like scrap it up with lots of bright fabrics, lace, rickrack, buttons or whatever. Here is a good place to play and experiment. Add some ruffles to the bottom edge out of a happy fabric. As for the neck, for the front I use the already there buttons with maybe a new strap, for the back, if you look carefully at the picture you can see how I over lapped the ends to make a loop to put over the head. I you really need a pattern, I think Mary Mulari made one on a sewing with Nancy episode. She has lots of video's on her site and you will find it there or on Mary's site.
Check the thrift shop for bib overall shorts. They are the perfect length for aprons.
thank for the info...I think these will be cute for our gardener's group booth at the fair this fall!
Another way to make aprons is to find denim skirts and separate back from front. The giddy up great too and are perfect for half aprons. The thrift shop is a treasure trove of ideas...just see things not for what they are but what they can be.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 PM

I made an apron one time from recycled shorts...will try posting a picture of it. I made it for a friend, who is a teacher.

Jean Apron
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116519[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-116514.jpe  
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 PM

here is a link to a video of a show done by Nancy Zieman on denim re-design.....including aprons.
http://www.sewingwithnancytv.com/ind...ink=true&chn=5
Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Now I LIKE this one!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 PM

One of my most treasured gifts is a denim purse a lady made me in the early 80's. I love it!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 PM

DH had a thing with denim for a while...here's my favorite...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-118152.jpe  
Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 PM

I am no good on this one.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 PM

Wow all the quilts are great and bags too.

Cookie