Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycling/Reusing Fabric >

Recycling/Reusing Fabric

Recycling/Reusing Fabric

Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM

Question Recycling/Reusing Fabric

I deconstructed an old (1940-50's) quilt top that was in desperate shape - many fabrics had disintegrated completely. I want to use some of the "good" fabrics in a quilt that I make (would be a wall hanging so no hard use). Should I use them seeing how the other fabrics didn't stand up to time or should I just forget about using them? I starched and pressed them very well but I was thinking I should use a fusible to make them more stable.

So my question is: use them or not? If yes, do I stabilize them with fusible interfacing?

Thanks for your suggestions. All are appreciated!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM

If you like them, use them. They will not get the use/abuse of a quilt....and heck.....if they lasted this long, i think that speaks well of them. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

I agree with PenniF. Most of the fabric wear happens from use, laundering and improper storage. If you are going to re use in a wall hanging, I'd just use as is, and hang it out of direct sunlight. The only other thing that I would worry about is leaving the starch in. After completing the project, I would carefully launder to remove it. It can attract insects.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 AM

In the older quilts, they had to use what they had in most cases. Sometimes from shirts and dresses that were already worn out . I would definitely use these fabrics that you've salvaged. They are a treasure!!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM

I too would use the fabrics that have survived and that you like. Do be sure to wash out any starch because of insects. It can be done by soaking in several containers of water, then spread out flat to dry if you are concerned about the washer and dryer being too harsh. I'd personally be hesitant about using stabilizer unless I used it on all the fabric but that's a personal preference. By the time you layer and quilt the piece, that should stabilize the entire piece. please let us see what you decide to do. You have already put in a lot of work before you start putting together the new project. Joyce in Delaware
Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the answers! I will definitely wash out the starch before I use the fabrics.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Thanks for the answers! I will definitely wash out the starch before I use the fabrics.
I'd leave them starched until finished with the quilt. Starching makes the cutting and piecing go so much better and easier.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:47 AM

I have a quilt my grandmother made for me somewhere around 1936 and some of the fabric is coming to pieces. I really don't think it's the ordinary wear/tear but the dye used in the material. Otherwise why doesn't all the material wear the same? It seems brown, dark blue and metallic disintegrate first.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=misseva;6681537 I really don't think it's the ordinary wear/tear but the dye used in the material. Otherwise why doesn't all the material wear the same? It seems brown, dark blue and metallic disintegrate first.[/QUOTE]
You are spot on about the dye...and from what I hear, blue (my Fav! Waaa!) is the worst. Could be the thread count/weave esp on the metallic. If you look at those, alot of times, the weave is loose.