Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycling Used Stabilizer >

Recycling Used Stabilizer

Recycling Used Stabilizer

Old 06-09-2014, 11:45 AM

Default Recycling Used Stabilizer

Have a question for anyone that embroiders.....

What do you do with the stabilizer you tear off the back when you are done embroidering?

Does any one know if I can put it in my paper recycling to be collected and recycled?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Different manufacturers use different fibers. I would try and look up your brand to see its composition. I think some of them are polyester, so not paper.
There are several ways you can conserve stabilizer usage. Rather than cut squares or rectangles, cut strips of stabilizer the width of your hoop. Hoop as close to the end of the strip as possible, when you are done, carefully cut or tear out just the embroidery (basically make a hole in the stabilizer). Now you can move the strip up and hoop for the next embroidery. It's amazing how much you save this way. With water solubles, you can embroider your design, then cut around the finished design, making a window in your stabilizer. Now cut another small piece of stabilizer to cover the hole, overlapping about 1/2" all the way around. Some folks use a TINY bit of water & stick the patch in place. I just sew the patch in using a looong stitch length. This thread won't dissolve, but it's easily removed.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:39 PM

I don't think that you can recycle these papers...I believe it is a mix of different products.
I re-use larger pieces...sometimes combining 2 or three to cover the area to be embroidered...
Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 PM

I patch the hole in used stabilizer and use it again. Also I recently made two quilt labels in the same hooping.