Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Remembering how fortunate we are as quilters >

Remembering how fortunate we are as quilters

Remembering how fortunate we are as quilters

Old 05-19-2022, 04:39 AM

Default Remembering how fortunate we are as quilters

Yesterday after spending 10 hours quilting a gift quilt I was thinking about how fortunate we all are. We have found a craft, hobby, creative outlet, skill (skill is pushing it for me) or whatever we call it that is fulfilling and we enjoy. Some days I have a love/hate relationship with a project, other days I turn to my husband to "do the Math" to calm my Math frustration, and some days it is just a pleasant experience. My quilting journey began 4 years ago when I was going to retire for a second time and a friend talked me into a quilting class because she knew I would be miserable with "nothing" to do. So, on those days that I have too many dates with Jack the ripper, when I stress over the colors or design I chose, and when my need for for absolute perfection invades, I will "try" to remember how fortunate I am. I wonder if others feel this way also?
Old 05-19-2022, 04:48 AM

I do feel grateful that I have a skill that I'm passionate about. I'm not a sit and do nothing type of person. I like to be busy and being busy doing something creative and useful is a bonus!
Old 05-19-2022, 05:21 AM

Very well said. My hobbies are what keep me sane.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:49 AM

I too feel fortunate but rarely take the time express my gratitude. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 AM

Yes, I feel very fortunate. I used to read more, but now I quilt and I love that I have something tangible to show for it. I see others who don't have a hobby that they are passionate about and they seem to have too much free time on their hands (if that is actually possible). Staying busy/productive/creative is a good thing.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:28 AM

When I think of the women in Ukraine, I get teary thinking how I can pursure quilting whenever I want. I wonder how many of them were quilters. I am hoping that sometime they will once again be able to pick up needle and thread and find comfort in quilting.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:46 AM

I enjoy my quilting for alot of reasons it makes me think and do. I have a relationship with the whole process of quilting I really like watching videos of quilting trying new patterns and using up my stacsh before I can't do it anymore.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:07 PM

I feel blessed that I learned to sew/quilt in 2012. It soothes my soul when I make a baby quilt or a walker bag or a dish towel. Still not perfect by any means, but when it's gifted... man! The "oh wow this is beautiful" comment is blurted out, there is a sense of euphoria having touched someone that deep!
Old 05-20-2022, 01:54 AM

There is something about the Quilting Community that makes the people I have met through learning this hobby the best of friends. Quilters have a Giving nature to share their knowledge and inspire you to do your best.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:00 AM

Quilting has gotten me through some very tough times - I've been doing it for 50 years! I moved several times, had a baby, changed jobs, got divorced, renovated a falling down house, and much more. Now that I'm retired, I see that the creative outlet that quilting has offered has been a lifesaver. I mediate while sewing and cutting, finding peace of mind. I have made many friends through quilting - friends who speak the same "shorthand" I do. It's a wonderful "hobby" and one I hope to keep doing til my dying day!